How Much/often To Feed Young Sterbai Corydoras?

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello!

I have 7 small Sterbais. They're about half an inch in length or maybe a tad smaller. They're very cute, active, and full of spunk. I love them.

I also have one CONSTANTLY hungry juvenile Angelfish, who's an expert at searching the sand for pieces of food (and unfortunately, he's been teaching this trick to the other fish too, so now they ALL search the gravel like he does) - meaning that my Sterbais don't get much food falling down to them. They do eat the fish granules, they LOVE bloodworms that'll sink to the bottom before the other fish find them, and I do have these Hikari Sinking Wafers for catfish/bottom feeders. They're small in size so it's great, but not so great because they're small enough where my Angelfish, Tetras, and my GBRs can actually steal them off the sand, and carry them in their mouths (yes, they look ridiculous. Imagine a human running for their lives with a frisbee in their mouth and you'll get the picture.)

So basically, when I try to feed the Sterbais the wafers, it just turns into a fishy game of "STEAL THE WAFER AND RUN!!!!!!" until they've picked it apart and there's nothing left - again, leaving the Sterbais without their food.

I mean, they ARE getting food, just not as much as I'd like them to have.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can make this work with everybody and make sure that the Sterbais get fed properly?

Thanks!
xx

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Crumble food and feed two times a day as long as they're growing.

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DoubleDutch said:
Crumble food and feed two times a day as long as they're growing.

Any suggestions on how to avoid the other fish from eating it first? That seems to be my main problem.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
madelyn anne said:
Any suggestions on how to avoid the other fish from eating it first? That seems to be my main problem.
If you crumble it to tiny pieces those will have quite a job finding as much as the Sterbai !

Susiefoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I sympathise, I've had little cory juveniles in a tank with fat greedy fish. I read a trick on here to place the wafers by hand just under the surface of your substrate. The cories will rummage and find it, but the angels / other fish won't be able to get to it.

Another trick is putting the wafers in just after you turn the tank lights off. Cories will use their sense of smell and barbels to locate the food, while the other fish will find it harder.

Maybe try a combination of these things and also crumbling as suggested above, and see what works for your tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom