How much of these fish in a 20 gallon? Please help I’m just starting

Kayla5221

I’m getting a 20 gallon long tank & I have a list of fish I’d love to get but I don’t want to overpopulate.

If anyone can let me know if the numbers of each fish are safe so they will all be comfortable, that would help so much!! This is what I’m thinking, again I’m just starting out so I may be way off

• 6 Cardinal Tetras
• 3 Male Blue Hawaiian Moscow Guppies
• 3 Male Half-moon Tail Guppies
• 4 Panda Cory
• 1 African Dwarf Frog

Thank you for reading!

ChrissFishes01

I think your numbers are okay overall, but Cardinal Tetras tend to like warmer water (at least 78-80) while Panda Cories are more of a subtropical species (72-74). They could probably coexist at 76-78 but it wouldn't be great for either fish. I might recommend either switching the Cardinals for Neons (who'll tolerate cooler temps well) or switching the Pandas for something like a Sterbai Cory, who'll like the warmer water. The guppies and frog can go either way, but the guppies will tend to live a bit longer in the cooler water. Food for thought.

I personally would make sure the tank is planted, as that'll cut down on the amount of water you'll have to change. Add fish slowly, after the tank is cycled, and give it a few weeks in between additions. So, maybe start with 3 guppies, give it a week or two, and if all is well, add your 6 tetras. Then, wait another couple weeks, and add your other 3 guppies. Then, another couple weeks, and add the Corys, etc...

You'll be surprised at how many fish an aquarium can actually hold (within reason). People generally only run into problems when adding a ton of fish all at once, IME.

Upvote 0

Kayla5221

I also like platy fish idk if I could add 3 of those on the list or if I’m already over what’s supposed to be in a 20 gal long

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

I mean you could but I probably wouldn't recommend it. I think you're at a decent number long-term. The more you add, the more maintenance the tank will be.

Upvote 0

Kayla5221

Thank you so much! That is so helpful to know this info! I appreciate it!!

Upvote 0

pandacorytay

I also like platy fish idk if I could add 3 of those on the list or if I’m already over what’s supposed to be in a 20 gal long
Platy fish in my experience have had HUGE bioloads. Like every time you look at them they are pooping. They are an absolute mess. So if you are going in the direction of lots of fish in a twenty I wouldn't add those on top of the ones you have planned.

Upvote 0

Kayla5221

Platy fish in my experience have had HUGE bioloads. Like every time you look at them they are pooping. They are an absolute mess. So if you are going in the direction of lots of fish in a twenty I wouldn't add those on top of the ones you have planned.

Thank you I didn’t know that!

Upvote 0

Motherlovebetta

I think if you wanted to add more fish I would just bump up your panda cories by a few so they hopefully don’t hide on you.

Upvote 0

Lucy

Hi Welcome to FishLore! (I know it's been almost a month lol)
Personally, I'd leave out the frog.
You've got a bunch of feisty fish listed. It wll be a chore to make sure it gets it's fair share of food

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
  • Question
Replies
Views
alyssamoscato
  • Question
Replies