How much of an algae wafer for 4 guppies?

1. amac Initiate Member

I have 4 guppies (3 female, 1 male) in a 5.5 gallon tank. Usually I feed them Top Fin Tropical Flakes, but I bought some Spirulina, Algae, & Veggie Wafers (by Zeigler) on amazon and some Omega One Veggie Rounds at the LFS (I didn't realize they were basically the same thing till later) to try and make my mystery snail eat, as he is sickly (in a separate tank now so I don't have an ammonia spike). Anyway, the snail is clearly a goner but I have all this food now.

I dropped 1/4 of a veggie round into the guppy tank just to see if they would eat it, and they went BALLISTIC. It must be like catnip for fish! They went so ballistic, however, that the two bigger females started fighting over it and wouldn't let the others near it. I took it out before it got too soggy so it wouldn't pollute the tank, but after I came home from work that day the main two hogs were super constipated.

My question is this: clearly, they love this stuff and it would make a good treat maybe once a week. But how much of a wafer should I put in the tank? And how long should I leave it in the water? I know I should break it into a few different pieces from now on to prevent fighting. The Omega rounds are about the size of a dime, Zeigler wafers are about the size of a nickel. In pics below, the Omega is on the left and Zeigler is on the right.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You can break it into pieces and feed them in opposite areas of the tank. Maybe 1/4 round (split into pieces or crushed) a few times a week?

Also, a 5.5 gal isn't an appropriate tank size for your fish. Would you consider upgrading to a 10 gal? I'm sure they'd love the space!

3. amac Initiate Member

That would probably work okay, as long as they don't all go for the same piece haha.

And I only have 4 fish, how is that overstocked? I thought the rule was one guppy per gallon. I would love to have a 10 gallon tank or bigger at some point, I just don't have the room for it right now

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Unfortunately that's not a good rule to follow. There's no hard and fast rule, but a 5.5 gal doesn't provide enough swimming space for 4 guppies (especially when they start reproducing...).

5. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Female guppies get to be 2 inches long plus they drop fry once a month . There is no 1 gal of water for guppy rule. They don't have enough swimming room in a 5.5 gallon tank. What are you doing with the babies? A tank that size would work for one male betta and a snail or a some nano fish that grow less than an inch in length , when full grown and don't bear live young. Alison

6. amac Initiate Member

I am going to put any fry the adults don't eat into the pond behind my house for bullfrog food. The pond doesn't have a stream connected so if any fish do manage to escape the frogs they won't be an invasive species.

I apologize, I was mistaken. I just got the male today, so I was thinking I was still within the right stocking amount. For 1 inch of fish per gallon, that would be 7 inches total when they are fully grown, which they aren't. I'll get rid of one of the females when the first fry are born so I'm within the limit. Would 2 females and 1 male in 5.5 gallons be good? I honestly do not have room for a larger tank right now.

7. Daniel W Member Member

That would probably be enough for them to be content, but for them to be happy, you should probably get a 10 gallon. That way, you can also keep some fry!

8. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

I personally consider even 10 to be small for more then 3.

9. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

The one inch of fish per gallon of water is totally outdated and doesn't work It does not take into account the territory that a particular fish need, the activity level of the fish ioload of the fish the girth of a fish the bioload of the fish. EXample would you put a 10 inch oscar in a 10 gal tank? or a 10 inch eel in a 10 gal tank , or even a 6 inch angel fish in a ten gallon tank. Zebre danios are extremely active fish that also don't belong in a 10 gal because of their activity level.. You wouldn't put a 10 inch pleco in a 10 gal tank because of the extremely high bioload of the fish When stocking everything needs to be considered first before figuring out which fish are appropriate for that tank. Also tell me about the bull frog pond is it a natural pond, or a man made fish pond. Introducing non native fish into local waters you can transmit dieases that our local fish have never been exposed to and don not have built up defences against. Just some things to think about. Alison:;bmu

10. amac Initiate Member

It's a man made hole from mining that was done back there that filled with some stagnant water over years. No fish were ever introduced to the pond, it's literally just frogs and bugs back there. Also, like I said there is no exit from this pond, they wouldn't be able to go anywhere. I would only be putting guppies in it as food for the frogs.

I know that sounds callous but that's what it is.

As for the tank, I just cannot afford an enormous tank for 4 tiny fish. They seem absolutely delighted with their 5.5 gallons and I WILL upgrade to 10 gallons when I get the chance but it may not be for a while.

I'm very sorry to offend, I did a lot of research before I set up this tank but apparently not enough.

11. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I am not offended in the least.. I also don't have a problem with feeding fry to other fish or frogs. Alison;)

12. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

No we"re just being realistic.
    I lightly stock, because i know that i wouldnt want to spend my life in aroom the size of my living room..

13. Txfishguy Initiate Member

There doesn't have to be a away to swim out of a pond for fish to spread elsewhere. Eggs and seeds and even live fish can be tangled in weeds that can get tangled in bird legs or get rides on animals that can travel to other ponds and creeks.

And most pet stores sell glass tanks for a dollar a gallon, and a hob filter for a 10-20 gallon tank can be had via Amazon.com for well under 20 bucks.

That's less that the cost of Goin out to eat one time.

14. Txfishguy Initiate Member

I got a 20 gallon tall tank with a canister filter, and everything needed to set up a tank for 40 bucks on Craigslist

15. amac Initiate Member

I know it's been a while since I responded, but I just wanted to assure everyone that I got a 20 gallon tank and will be moving the guppies over once it's cycled. Thank you for the advice