How much of a problem is this?

1. r

renthus Well Known Member Member

So I'm in the process of consolidating all of my tanks onto a shelving system, and a wee bit of a problem has popped up. It's a 36" shelf so I figured I could put a 20" 10g and a 16" 5.5g on each shelf (together). Unfortunately, the shelf size is rounded up, and the tank size is rounded down. Also, the shelves have a little bit of a lip. As a result, here's what I get when I try to put a 5.5g next to a 10g:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/01b4os31jsup0m5/CAM00562.jpg

If it's not clear, about an inch (plus a little bit) is hanging off the side, and the tank isn't level (half isn't touching the shelf) because of the lip. The question is, does anyone have a really clever workaround for this? Technically I can just move both 5.5gs to the bottom shelf, but then I'll need to buy another 36" light and I'll have an abundance of extra space on the 10g shelves (and no room for my QT!). Ideas/guidance?

2. sasha94

sasha94 Valued Member Member

I would take a piece of wood slightly longer and a bit slimmer than the shelf and place it on there supporting it with a few pieces of wood or something. You could even use books. Then you can center the tanks on the piece of wood and they should barely hang off. I made this picture of my idea. I had too much fun making it XD.:)
    [​IMG]

3. OP
    OP
    r

renthus Well Known Member Member

Hmm, I might not do that, exactly, but you have given me an idea. I can use short plywood sheets under the 5g to nullify the lip, then one more longer piece for the bit hanging off. That way, I won't have to deal with the 10g

Sent from my LG-E970 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. sasha94

sasha94 Valued Member Member

that work too. :)

5. guppy lover

guppy lover Valued Member Member

A good compromise leaves everybody satisfied.

GL