How Much Nitrite Does Prime Detoxify

Jeezusjuiicee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok I've tried looking for this answer and no one is giving a solid answer. My nitrite is at .5 right now and I added prime 2 days ago. I'm about to do a 25% water change. But I still would like to know the right amount of prime to use for this! Does the normal does detoxify up to 1ppm nitrite just like ammonia?

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Good job monitoring nitrite. A lot of people doing their first cycle forget about that after their ammonia finally drops.

There's actually a lot of debate on this question. Some say Prime has no affect on nitrite, and some (me for example) swear by it. SeaChem says it does, but doesn't understand very well how it does.

That said, .5 nitrite isn't that high so I would say using the normal dose of Prime would fully detox that nitrite. Just be sure to do that every 24 to 48 hours until the tank is fully cycled.

https://www.seachem.com/support/forums/forum/general-discussion/1803-prime-questions

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good job monitoring nitrite. A lot of people doing their first cycle forget about that after their ammonia finally drops.

There's actually a lot of debate on this question. Some say Prime has no affect on nitrite, and some (me for example) swear by it. SeaChem says it does, but doesn't understand very well how it does.

That said, .5 nitrite isn't that high so I would say using the normal dose of Prime would fully detox that nitrite. Just be sure to do that every 24 to 48 hours until the tank is fully cycled.

https://www.seachem.com/support/forums/forum/general-discussion/1803-prime-questions
Usually the normal dose will detoxify 1ppm of nitrite and ammonia combined. If you are cycling your tank with fish in it you need to be testing it for ammonia as well. Ammonia is even more toxic to fish than nitrites.

OP
Jeezusjuiicee

Jeezusjuiicee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you @ystrout and @Momgoose56 I appreciate that! I am testing for all 3 every 48 hours. And then I add more prime based on my tests. My ammonia never got above .25 the whole time. And my nitrite is at its highest right now, nitrate is at 5! so I'm almost at the end of my cycle!

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When your ammonia AND nitrites drop to zero and you have nitrates your cycling will be completed! You may still have 2 or 3 weeks to go. In the mean time keep up the good work, keep nitrite+ammonia to 1ppm or less with water changes and keep dosing with Prime. You're doing great!

OP
Jeezusjuiicee

Jeezusjuiicee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
https://www.seachem.com/prime.php
FAQ
When should I use the emergency dose of 5 x the recommended amount of Prime®?
A: If your ammonia or nitrite levels are above 2 ppm, you can safely use up to 5 x the recommended amount.
Yea I read that but it's still not really a set answer on how much it's exactly detoxifying lol. I'm just being super careful ! And @Momgoose56 thank you I appreciate that!!

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
yeah, Seachem doesn't know the exact mechanics of how Prime works against Nitrite. So they don't have an exact answer.

Prime probably doesn't actually do anything to detox nitrite. The sulfur compound they use in Prime is a strong reductase and has been shown by atleast 1 medical study to reverse the effects of nitrite poisoning aka methemoglobin or brown blood disease.

OP
Jeezusjuiicee

Jeezusjuiicee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yeah, Seachem doesn't know the exact mechanics of how Prime works against Nitrite. So they don't have an exact answer.

Prime probably doesn't actually do anything to detox nitrite. The sulfur compound they use in Prime is a strong reductase and has been shown by atleast 1 medical study to reverse the effects of nitrite poisoning aka methemoglobin or brown blood disease.
Oh wow you know your stuff haha!

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Wow! Because their solution is proprietary, I haven't ever been able to find out what's in it! Where'd you find that information? What is the sulfur compound they use? I thought the treatment of choice for Methemoglobinemia in fish was Cloride salts (NaCl or CaCl) aand I'd think if they were going to add anything to 'prevent' nitrite poisoning it would be some inexpensive CaCl! But it makes sense, that's probably where the stinky smell of the Prime comes from? Maybe?​

Last edited by a moderator:
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom