How much money so far in tanks??

Nags1965
Can I ask how much you guys have invested in tanks... fish... so far? Our set up was right at 600.00 for a 55 gallon freshwater tank and stand.. ive probably got another 200+ in "goodies". We are pretty new to having a fish tank so I think we are doing pretty good so far..

Ive been looking at all the members tank pics.. both Freshwater and Saltwater and they are BEAUTIFUL..I can't even begin to guess how much some of you have invested in the Saltwater set ups.

Do you ever consider the cost or do you feel its such a passion that cost doesn't matter?

Martinismommy
Can I ask how much you guys have invested in tanks... fish... so far? Our set up was right at 600.00 for a 55 gallon freshwater tank and stand.. ive probably got another 200+ in "goodies". We are pretty new to having a fish tank so I think we are doing pretty good so far..

Ive been looking at all the members tank pics.. both Freshwater and Saltwater and they are BEAUTIFUL..I can't even begin to guess how much some of you have invested in the Saltwater set ups.

Do you ever consider the cost or do you feel its such a passion that cost doesn't matter?

Between the fish obsession and my Chihuahua's I have spent literally $1000s of dollars...It's not that it doesn't matter, it's just that I can't control myself

Shawnie
$1000'a here also..and always buying more..I think when I first joined, this question was asked...and again, I can't wait till dino answers this one ! LOL

Nags1965
Between the fish obsession and my Chihuahua's I have spent literally $1000s of dollars...It's not that it doesn't matter, it's just that I can't control myself

I feel the same way when I walk into Dillards shoe dept. My eyes glaze over and I envision how wonderful every shoe would look in my closet

We work so hard and spend so much money on this one tank.. I just can't even imagine having several more to keep up.

$1000'a here also..and always buying more..I think when I first joined, this question was asked...and again, I can't wait till dino answers this one ! LOL

Looks like we joined about the same time.. I must have missed that question LOL. I can see if people invest as a business that they would spend tons of money.. I'm really curious about people like me that just enjoy it as a hobby and not so much a business..

Martinismommy
Shoes.....Oh the wonderful shoes! lol.....That's not my weakness...I have a closet the size of some peoples bedrooms....Now in that closet, the Chihuahua's have their own side! It's pretty bad over here..... If I could dress the fish up I would!

254.jpg

This bag cost more than my purse! lol Get the idea?

255.jpg

Qdaddy
Got lucky

I got lucky. A friend of mine got a call from his LFS about a 150 gal tank that was used and being sold cheap by the LFS. I jumped all over it. I paid $1500 for the tank which included 100lbs of live rock and all the equipment. I had the LFS install it with me and cost me another $300. Now I can't stop adding fish!! This addiction could be trouble

Nags1965
I got lucky. A friend of mine got a call from his LFS about a 150 gal tank that was used and being sold cheap by the LFS. I jumped all over it. I paid $1500 for the tank which included 100lbs of live rock and all the equipment. I had the LFS install it with me and cost me another $300. Now I can't stop adding fish!! This addiction could be trouble

we had the chance to buy a 120 gallon Saltwater set up and stand for 500 bucks.. We had no clue how to do Saltwater tank as we were just starting to shop for Freshwater tanks. We turned it down.. the more I am on this site the more I realize we really messed up.

How much would that set up have cost brand new?

hockeyref88

5 tanks..............1000 gallon koi pond ..............dogs....cats...........no, don't ever consider cost. All we ever consider is getting more tanks and animals.

Rick

Shoes.....Oh the wonderful shoes! lol.....That's not my weakness...I have a closet the size of some peoples bedrooms....Now in that closet, the Chihuahua's have their own side! It's pretty bad over here..... If I could dress the fish up I would!

254.jpg

This bag cost more than my purse! lol Get the idea?

255.jpg

Are those pic's of your babies??

Rick

Nags1965
Awww those puppies are so cute.. My sister has a T tiny "applehead"... She is the cutiest lil thing ive ever seen and I would LOVE to have one.. I don't want to buy from a stranger or a pet store.. so hopefully one day ill run into someone I trust that raises them and ill buy one from them.

Martinismommy
Yes, these are my 2 sons MartinI and Mr. Big...I also have a little girl sired by Mr. Big...Her name is Bikini..I breed a litter every blue moon but I am very involved with the breeders in my area so if you ever want a quality bred Champion sired puppy give me a hollar.....

Wow! There are quite a few Chihuahua lovers on this board....

Rick, Spike is DARLING!!!!!!!!!

hockeyref88
Yes, these are my 2 sons MartinI and Mr. Big...I also have a little girl sired by Mr. Big...Her name is Bikini..I breed a litter every blue moon but I am very involved with the breeders in my area so if you ever want a quality bred Champion sired puppy give me a hollar.....

I better not let my wife see this post or I'm in trouble. She'll want one for sure, although spike is pretty spoiled and we don't think he would do well with another??

Rick

Thanks yours are awesome too. You are the hockeyref's mom right??

Nags1965

your pictures are always amazing. Are you a pro? What kind of cam do you have? My husband bought me a canon rebel XTI and I swear it has more gadgets then I will ever know how to find.. much less use. I signed up for a "canon xtI for dummies" class and due to lack of iinterest they canceled the class

hockeyref88
Thanks yours are awesome too. You are the hockeyref's mom right??

Let me rephrase that........Isn't your son a hockeyref ??? LOL

Martinismommy
I better not let my wife see this post or I'm in trouble. She'll want one for sure, although spike is pretty spoiled and we don't think he would do well with another??

Rick

Rick, Didn't anyone ever tell you Chihuahua's are like potato chips? You can't have just one lololol...

I'm starting to think the same applies to fish tanks......

hockeyref88
Shawnie....Hercules is Crackin. what a cutie!!!

MM............We would already have another one except spike is a bit of a brat with other dogs. He does ok with cats but no so good with dogs.

Shawnie
hes crackin alright!! major big dog sydrome LOL didnt realize these lil things have such a tude

Martinismommy
Hercules is the bomb!

hockeyref88
hes crackin alright!! major big dog sydrome LOL didnt realize these lil things have such a tude

Oh god I know..........ours won't back down from no dog to a fault. We really have to watch ours when we're at dog beach or park. He'll just take on any dog.

Shawnie
SORRRRY Nags...our dogs took over your thread

hockeyref88
We kind of hI jacked the thread didn't we???

Martinismommy
Oh god I know..........ours won't back down from no dog to a fault. We really have to watch ours when we're at dog beach or park. He'll just take on any dog.

We call it the "Nepolian syndrom" Thank you very much

OK, now we need to start our own thread on Chibaby addicts! Shawnie....Invite us to the new thread lol

hockeyref88
So Martinismom...........so you have a website of the breeder your associated with I can show my wife

Nags1965
We kind of hI jacked the thread didn't we???

its quite alright.. I'm a big dog lover as well. I'm just happy to know I'm not the only one obsessed with spoiling my dogs LOL

carry on yall

hockeyref88
its quite alright.. I'm a big dog lover as well. I'm just happy to know I'm not the only one obsessed with spoiling my dogs LOL

carry on yall

Cheers mate......Good sport

COBettaCouple
LOL.. We've lost track of it.. but $1000s sounds about right.. and we're spending more this year than last.

Angela_96
Cute doggies! I have been wanting a tea cup chih. myself! I just don't think my husband is going to let me w/ a 30+lb cat in the house, I think she would try to eat one! I saw the cutest doggie clothes at petsmart yesterday, they had bikini's for doggies, dresses... w/ me only having 2 kids and them being boys.. I got to thinking getting a little doggie (a girl!) I could dress it up and pack it around all the time....

My fish obsession, my 55 gallon cost about $770 filters and all. my 36g cost $655 filters and all. (they both have expensive lighting systems w/ moon-lighting on them) the
55g has a sat lighting system, the one on the 36 isn't so fancy...
now my 10 gallon I might have 75 in it, 5 gallon was a freebie gift for my son, I have given him my 10 gallon tank (well as soon as the 2 ruben peacocks get big enough to go in the main peacock tank and are "safe" from the fishstore isolation)
We just bought a 20 gallon long yesterday, it was 75 (I already had a filter for it and light from my 36 bow the light was the size for it)

My husband left the house this evening for work shaking his head looking at the kitchen (I had to put the tank in there on the cabinet next to his stuff where he comes in the house) you and your fish "obsession" and laughed... and then I reminded him whose peacocks are in his sons tank... holding it back from me getting it ready for him to have a little school of neons...

nugzboltz
I've only had my tank for just over a month, and I've already spent a couple hundred dollars on fish-related stuff.

I mean I spent $70 to get the tank and some starter items; then I got more serious and bought maintenance items, plants, and other little things that just added up very quickly. Well at least for the next tank, I'll be ready with everything that I need

Allie
I imagine we've spent thousands over the past few years. I don't want to think about the rest of it considering we're opening a fish hatchery/store in the next few years.

Angela_96
We were talking on the way to pick up my husbands peacocks yesterday and my tank... and he mentioned a boat sitting in the backyard that we have and all we have to do is put about a thousand in it for us to be able to use it... I looked over at him and said.. um we have put just about that in one fish tank.. I think we can do that on that boat for the family to get out on the lake... (that's getting it tags and all w/ the state)... its big enough for us to take the kids out too so we'd be crazy not to fix it up... (we are going to have to paint it and put new seats on it that's the biggest chores)

So our fish tank buying might be on halt for the next couple months... my 2 year old has never caught a fish (if we don't take him the grandparents will try to beat us to it).... and my 6 year old loves to go... and I have been wanting to get some pictures on the lake myself...

So this fall.. it will be tank spending time again...

Martinismommy
your pictures are always amazing. Are you a pro? What kind of cam do you have? My husband bought me a canon rebel XTI and I swear it has more gadgets then I will ever know how to find.. much less use. I signed up for a "canon xtI for dummies" class and due to lack of iinterest they canceled the class

Let see.....Am I a pro......I guess that depends on who you ask lol....But yes, I do get paid for taking photographs...I've been doing this for 30 years.....

I have several different cameras a couple 35 mm and numerous digitals.....The camera that my fish photo's were taken with is a Panasonic Lumix....It is fabulous for macro close up shots like the fishies......

Ut oh, I just realized I better add that to my 1000's spent on the fish hobby....I had to have this camera to photograph my fish RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

offminded
I am pushing $1500 - $2000 for my set up so far...matter of fact...just dropped $150 yesterday...

Nags1965
I am pushing $1500 - $2000 for my set up so far...matter of fact...just dropped $150 yesterday...

What did you buy for 150 for?

Its nothing for me to drop 500 for a purse.. but I had a hard time spending the money for a fish tank. Maybe because I can't kill a purse LOL..

Shawnie
holy cow!! a purse? does it talk to ya or sumptin? LOL wow didnt know purses cost so much or were even in that category of spending

Nags1965
holy cow!! a purse? does it talk to ya or sumptin? LOL wow didnt know purses cost so much or were even in that category of spending

I am very passionate about my shoes and purses

Shawnie
still in shock that a purse can cost so much!! imagine the tanks we could have with that money LOL....in all seriousness, I really am shocked that a purse or that anyone buys a purse for 500...guess having so many children, has kept me from even knowing this kind of stuff exists

Martinismommy
still in shock that a purse can cost so much!! imagine the tanks we could have with that money LOL....in all seriousness, I really am shocked that a purse or that anyone buys a purse for 500...guess having so many children, has kept me from even knowing this kind of stuff exists [/QUOTE

Oh Shawnie, it does exist lol...You should see the prices on some of the Jimmy Choo shoes....

Shawnie
LOL I shop at payless...never heard of those either I'm not a girlie girl I guess..grew up riding horses, and living on the farm..now u gimme a nice bull to show or a great arabian, and that will cost some money ...gotta love the farm galz

Nags1965
I am a dooney and bourke purse lover... I have a closet full of them. TO my excitement and my husbands horror.. the dooney section is right across the isle from the shoe section at dillards ;D

Oil_Fan
Let's see. First day I spent around $1500 to get everything I needed to setup my 65 gallon Saltwater tank. That includes the tank, stand, sump and bunch of live rock. Tank was expensive enough but then you see the bill for the live rock and you just about have a heart attack!!

And I've easily spent another $600 or $700 since. The LFS that I deal with is having a huge sale this coming up weekend. Gonna get me an RO unit, a couple corals and last 2 fish to stock my tank. There goes another $300 or $400. heh

Angela_96
My most expensive purse was about 80$ I too shop at payless... and my husbands horror is when I take the kids shopping for clothes... I dress them to the tee..
the other horror is the day in knox after my monthly doc appt that I spend going fishstore to fishstore... if I have any money he worries that whole day!
Of coarse today I made my big order from foster and smith... I just need one thing from the store frid...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Idkitsathrowaway
Replies
Views
SparkyJones
Replies
Views
Forgetfullfishy
Replies
Views