How Much Methylene Blue Will Kill The Beneficial Bacteria?

Shakeslady

I started my betta on methylene blue baths today for an unknown issue (small patch of whitish scales behind his head that is getting a bit larger). He's active and eating like a pig so I wanted to start with something conservative since I'm not sure what's going on.

Anyway, I floated the container I used for his bath in the tank so it would stay warm while he was in there, but the container tipped and a very small amount of the bath water escaped into the main tank. I only used two drops in the bath so I can't imagine more than 1/2 a drop escaped into the 5 gallon tank (probably less). Is that small of an amount enough to kill off the beneficial bacteria?

I plan on doing daily water testing to be on the safe side, but I will be leaving on vacation in a few days and don't want to worry about the cycle to crashing while I'm away.

Islandvic

If you have a spare bag of carbon, you can pull your media out of the filter and throw the carbon in.

It will adsorb the traces of methylene blue.

Even if you don't have a bag of carbon on hand, you can pull the media out now and place it in dechlorinator water while you do a water change.

The other media can be placed in a container/cup of dechlorinator water for the time being.

If you were using a concentration low enough to keep the Betta in the bath for a few minutes, then a small amount spilling into the tank probably isn't a huge deal.

I have a small 4oz bottle of Kordon's Methylene Blue, and use the concentration for a quick 10 second dip. That is more concentrated and would worry more with that spilling, versus part of the bath you had spilling.

A large water change will remove the majority of it.

Next time, you may want to try finding a large bowl/pan that you can fill with temp matched faucet water, then float the container used for the fish bath in that. May prevent future incidents.

I hope your betta heals up!

Nobote

Methylene blue is antibacterial, and its antibacterial qualities are increased with UV light.

Given the amount of methylene blue ratio to aquarium water I don't think you did any far reaching damage to your bacterial beds in the aquarium.

Shakeslady

If you have a spare bag of carbon, you can pull your media out of the filter and throw the carbon in.

It will adsorb the traces of methylene blue.

Even if you don't have a bag of carbon on hand, you can pull the media out now and place it in dechlorinator water while you do a water change.

The other media can be placed in a container/cup of dechlorinator water for the time being.

If you were using a concentration low enough to keep the Betta in the bath for a few minutes, then a small amount spilling into the tank probably isn't a huge deal.

I have a small 4oz bottle of Kordon's Methylene Blue, and use the concentration for a quick 10 second dip. That is more concentrated and would worry more with that spilling, versus part of the bath you had spilling.

A large water change will remove the majority of it.

Next time, you may want to try finding a large bowl/pan that you can fill with temp matched faucet water, then float the container used for the fish bath in that. May prevent future incidents.

I hope your betta heals up!

Thanks. There is carbon in the filter, but it's old so I just replaced it (the carbon, not the entire filter). I was trying to be efficient and did a water change while he was in the bath, so I don't want to do another so soon. Maybe this evening . . .

richiep

I use King British methylene blue 1mil to 9ltr put straight into main tank nothing on the package to say it harms BB yet I read else where it can, strange. I don't think you've any worries

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
finnipper59
Replies
Views
AvalancheDave
Replies
Views