How much longer?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by el337, Jul 23, 2015.

1. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

So I had my brand spanking new 46g set up on Friday with half my old filter floss, rock cave and 1 fake plant from the 10g to jump start it. 24 hours later I added the other half of the filter floss, TSS+ and moved my fish. I know I should wait it out a little longer for it to be cycled but it's soooo hard as I'm a very impatient person. I couldn't help test the water yesterday and got ph 7.6, 0, 0, and then a shade in between 0 and 5ppm on nitrates. What does this mean and how many more days til it's more like the parameters I used to have on my 10g which was 0, 0, 5? Is there anything else I should be doing?

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Test to see if your tank is cycled by putting 2 ppm of ammonia and wait 24 hours, if you get 0 ammonia and nitrite with more nitrates you should be cycled:)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    el337

How many mL would that be again?

4. Dom90

I honestly don't know. Every time I follow some ammonia calculator I'm over what's suggested... Try 1.5 mL and test in an hour if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    el337

Ok, thanks as always!!

6. OP
    OP
    el337

Oh and adding ammonia in the tank while fish are in is safe? Is it safe to assume that since the fish are in there producing waste + having leftover food that I am fine to let things be since my ammonia and nitrites are 0?

7. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If I read the Op right you've got fish in the tank, do not add ammonia with fish in

8. Dom90

Uhh yea... I assumed you were doing a fishless cycle, sorry, do not add ammonia lol...

Edit: Just test for ammonia and nitrite for the next couple days, if you consistently get 0s, you should be cycled. The nitrates are low because you may still have a low bioload.

9. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

And with TSS+ it is supposed to take up to two weeks to fully cycle. So you might still see levels of ammonia during that time.

10. OP
    OP
    el337

U think full two weeks even with the old media to help speed things up?

11. Dom90

Yep, your other tank hasnt been established that long so it can take upwards of two weeks or so.

12. OP
    OP
    el337

And with real plants added, could that be the reason for low nitrates?

13. Dom90

Yes that's very likely. Your current fish are a low bioload also.

14. OP
    OP
    el337

Ok hopefully no spikes but I'm sure I won't be able to resist testing again tomorrow or the day after.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice