20 Gallon Tank How much longer ya think? Are my readings normal?

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi,

Iv been doing partial water changes everyday and using Amquel+. I have 4 zebra danios and my last test today was

Nitrites - Between 1 & 2,
Nitrates - Way up. They were over 20 but not as read as 40,
Ammonia- Which I'm unsure if accurate because of the Amquel+ read 0.

Iv noticed My nitrates are going up really fast especially changing the water everyday and adding Amque+. My Nitrites have gone down some they were so purple I was writing my results as over 5.0 at the same time Im noticing my Nitrates going up. I know thats what should happen for the end result but are the amounts/levels normal?

Does anyone have any guesstimations on how much longer you think till the cycle is finished?

I know there is no definite amount of time or anything....thanks everyone

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not sure how much longer you may have, but with nitrate readings pushing 40ppm I would up the size of your water changes a bit to get the level down. Since your nitrites were so high at one point it makes sense that your nitrate levels would get so high once the bacteria caught up. As long as you waited at least 24 hours after adding the Amquel+ before testing your test should be pretty accurate. Sounds like it's coming together. Keep up the water changes, your doing fine.

Good luck!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm not sure how much longer you may have, but with nitrate readings pushing 40ppm I would up the size of your water changes a bit to get the level down. Since your nitrites were so high at one point it makes sense that your nitrate levels would get so high once the bacteria caught up. As long as you waited at least 24 hours after adding the Amquel+ before testing your test should be pretty accurate. Sounds like it's coming together. Keep up the water changes, your doing fine.

Good luck!
I agree. Good advice.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not even a little estimate? weeks? months? years? LOL I'll just keep waiting and watching...every time the cycling is frustrating I think of the ''Keep Swimming'' motto on Finding Nemo Thanks for your help. I will up my next water change. I was excited to see the purple go down a little and super happy to be moving forward not back!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
weeks

just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming swimming, just keep swimming

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom