How much longer? (Preg Molly) Question 

joegti10

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I guess it was about 4 weeks ago that I noticed one of my new mollies getting a big belly...it should be about time yes?

Pics are from today, not that greatest shots...sorry.

4.png

6.png

8.png

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
should be 3 - 4 weeks, but with other livebearers I've had, their first pregnancy always seem to take a little longer.. maybe just me. After the first drop she should have more drops about once month.

Sorry if this doesn't help, I noticed nobody else answered so this post should move your thread to the top of the list of "new post".

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
She looks just about ready to me.

Yeah I think it they carry about 30 days give or take. But if she is stressed she can hold her fry until she feels safe.

Are there new fish in tank, or did you move her or anything like that?

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
welcome to fishlore joegti10!

To me, she looks about ready to drop. Every female seems to be different, though, and sometimes it can take longer than the typical 4 weeks for some reason, I know mine always do Often times it just comes to be a kind of guessing game, but after watching a female drop a few times, you'll start to get a feel for when each female is about ready to drop. Hope that helps, good luck with the fry!

joegti10

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ayelie said:
She looks just about ready to me.

Yeah I think it they carry about 30 days give or take. But if she is stressed she can hold her fry until she feels safe.

Are there new fish in tank, or did you move her or anything like that?
No new fish since about 3 weeks ago and she hasnt been moved.

I will be keeping an extra eye out. My 4 yr old daughter is looking forward to seeing some babies.

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yay for fry coming soon! Welcome to FL!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore!

Best wishes for healthy fry! I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Good luck, the molly fry are bigger than I expected them to be when my female dropped, so you should be able to see them when she does go!

Tip: when I was catching the fry, they went to hide in the back corners of the tank amongst the gravel, try there if you think there's no more. You'll prob be catching them for days, they just 'appear' lol!!

joegti10

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thanks for the input guys...will report back when something happens.

joegti10

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
well, she is definitely smaller today and I see no fry in the tank. did a water change and didnt spot any. either they were eaten or went up the filter.

oh well.

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
joegti10 said:
well, she is definitely smaller today and I see no fry in the tank. did a water change and didnt spot any. either they were eaten or went up the filter.

oh well.
That's to bad, just after the fry drop is my fav tank time. Keep an eye out, sometimes they'll drop a few fry after the main drop.

If you get a chance fill out your tank info.

P.S. good job on your fish pics!

joegti10

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FredBjammin said:
That's to bad, just after the fry drop is my fav tank time. Keep an eye out, sometimes they'll drop a few fry after the main drop.

If you get a chance fill out your tank info.

P.S. good job on your fish pics!
Yea ill get at that...this tank is still fairly new...I'm about 8 weeks into it and it finally stabilized 0 ammonia 0 nitrites last week. I had too many fish in the beginning in an uncycled tank. In this time I also wound up changing filters and gravel to sand. For a while I had some high nitrite levels and I used that nutrifin cycle recently and it seemed to work. Since the beginning ive lost two fish, the two dark mollies. I dunno, they looked weak from when I bought them. Everyone else has been fine.

Also, this same molly looks fat again...I think shes still holding, or its a new batch.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads