How much lighting for anemone?

fishrule101
I really want an anemone so I'm doing research and am looking at the bubble tips for my anemone. I want one because first they look cool second my maroon looks bored. How muching lighting does a bubble tip need. MY tank deepth is about 24 inches or less. The info on it in fishlore said power compact lighting is ok. I have fluorescent lights is that enough?? I was planning on upgrading, but is this enough?? Also if not want would I need?? I was looking at this

I'm only keeping about 10 corals max so I don't want to buy something like metal halides.

sgould
As long as your tank depth is no more than 24", T-5s will work. Don't even try normal flourescents. The fixture you linked, in the 48" 432 watt size, is what I have on my BTA tank. Although I'm kinda bummed now...I think I paid more than that for my fixture!

fishrule101
What kind of corals can be kept under my flouresecents??

fishrule101
Is this one ok??

fishrule101
I'm going to buy the second light fixture. It haves more watts and its way cheaper. It also comes with lunar lights. My tank is going to have around 4.5 watts per gallon which I think is enough. I'm not going to keep many corals so I think i'm going to be ok.

Tumbleweed
You can not go with watts per gallon as a guide for lights. It does not tank into account tank size. If you are going to keep anenome's you will need at least a T5 light fixture for the depth of tank that you have. They might survive un compacts with suplumental feeding, but they will not be healthy and there life span will decrease.

fishrule101
Then what is the guide for lighting??

fishrule101
So the first one was better?

Tumbleweed
unfortuneltly there is no set guide for lighting, that is why lighting is one of the most asked and dissucused questions in Saltwater tanks. The First light you have would be a better choice, based on the depth of your tank.

sgould
I agree...the T-5's would be better than compact flourescents. Incidentally, I also have one of the compact fluorescent fixtures you linked set up on my smaller tank. The corals I keep in that tank have done very well with it, but I would not put an anemone in there.

There are low light corals out there, mushrooms for example. I would suggest going to liveaquaria and just browsing through their selection of corals. The pages for each lists their lighting requirements as "low, moderate, or high". Standard flourescents would be considered "low", and compact flourescents "moderate". T-5s would be "high", provided that your tank is less than 24" deep. Deeper than that and the light diffuses too much and loses intensity.

fishrule101
So if I get the T-5s I would be able to getting any coral??

Tumbleweed
I would not say any coral but your list of availble types does increase.
I could help whould be to know the demensions of your tank.

fishrule101
14" width

19" height

24" length

Tumbleweed
With that size tank I would say a good T5 setup will allow you to keep most corals and even some sps corals. You might just need to keep some of the hight light corals closer to the top of the tank rather then on the bottom.

fishrule101
Does the 24" means how long you tank is?? I'm getting ready to buy the T-5s and want to make sure that it will fit.

Tumbleweed
Yes that means light length. You have a 24" long tank so you would want a 24" light fixture

fishrule101
Now that I order my new light fixtures what would be so good corals for a begnnier?? I was thinking some pusing xenia and some mushrooms. What are some corals that grow fast?? Can I get more than one anemone??

Tumbleweed
From the bio your tank is not very old. I would go really slowly when it comes to adding corals. They are far more sensitive to water conditoins. What you have listed above are some good choices.

fishrule101
Can I get more than one anemone??

Tumbleweed
It depends on the type. Some will get along and some others will not. Even if you place them on opposite ends of the tank they do move and con find each other. I would start with 1 and let that go for a while and if you decide you want to add another later you can try it and see how it goes. I have seen many tanks with multiple bubble tips in it and
they do just fine.

maxijazz
Go slowly, problems happen very fast if you rush, xenia and mushrooms are excellent choices for the beginner, try get some zoas, my god near impossible to kill them, leather corals, kenya tree corals, green star polyps are all good too. Keep the params in your tank constant then worry bout lighting. good luck

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
becandkall
Replies
Views
JessiNoel21
Replies
Views