How much larger (size, not volume) is a 55g than a 30g ?

1. HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

I currently have a 30g right now.
    I'm eyeing a 55g.

How much more space does the 55 take up ?

And what would I need to add / upgrade - I have a Fluval U3 filter (the 55 comes with a HOB I believe), and a heater (can't recall the wattage).

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

About a foot longer and 5 or 6 inches taller...(approx) ....depending on your stock, they HOB might be ok...I preferred canisters with my 55g and above...but its a preference for me :) hope you are able to get it!!

3. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

here are the standard dimensions for

30gal
    30 Gallon 36 1/4 x 12 5/8 x 16 3/4

55gal
    55 Gallon 48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 21

Seems mostly to be in length and a little bit in height.

4. HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

Current tank is about 31.5" long, 13.5" deep, and 18" tall.

The 55g in question is the basic Tetra-brand tank with a stingray stand from Big Als.

5. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

That sounds more like a 29gal then (29 Gallon 30 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 18 3/4)

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I assume 30s are 29s - the vast majority of the time I am right :)

A 55 is significantly larger than a 29.

7. HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

I don't know - it said 30 when I bought it. But 1 gallon doesn't make a big difference at that size.

8. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

My 55 seems HUGE compared to my 29. I'll be home saturday night and I can take a video going back and forth between the two so you can see them.

The 55 gallon is 4 ft long and I think a little taller. I can't remember. The big thing is you have to have space for the stand and the tank. Do you have space for a 4ft tank? It really needs to be on the ground level due to weight too. Its not good for the flooring to have 55 gallons worth of weight.

9. HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

I do have the space for the 4' tank.

It would be on the main floor (not in the basement), and along a load-bearing wall.

We're actually also looking ar a 75 gallon. The weight is spread out better with that one.

The 29/30 gallon we have is roughly 132 lb/sq ft.
    The 55 gallon is 156 lb/sq ft.
    The 75 gallon is 142 lb/sq ft.

The way I'm looking at that, the 75 gallon is the least likely to cause problems in the long run, as the weight is spread out better.

10. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Well if you are looking fo a 75gal, why not just get a 90gal? Same foot print as a 75, just a bit taller.:)

11. HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

Because the 75 is on sale ;) With a stand included.

12. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

That's a good reason.

I am currently in my 3rd place where my tanks are on the second floor. I would NOT want to live in a place that could not sustain the weight of a 55 gallon tank, and I doubt such a place would be up to code. It's REALLY not that much.....

13. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with one tank, the codes even from the early days were built to handle that kind of weight

back to the OP I would get what you like bigger is always better!!