How Much Is The Filter Supposed To Disturb The Waters Surface?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by SpikeyPlant, Aug 20, 2019.

1. SpikeyPlant

SpikeyPlantNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    So for my filter, when I set it up, it made a trickling sound for a few days and then stopped when there was a power outage. I don't remember if there was much surface disturbance but now whilst I can see movement when just the filter is on (I have an air stone as well) it's barely visible, no matter where the output is in relation to the water line and there are no trickling sounds. My filter is a Fluval U1 and I'm wondering if it's supposed to look like this, or if I need a new one.

2. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,608
    Experience:
    1 year
    I would suggest to take out the filter and clean the impeller and impeller shaft.

Swish the sponge around in a container of tank water.

Maybe the media is getting clogged and the impeller is dirty, causing reduced flow.

Put it all back together and try it again.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  3. Fishstery

FishsteryValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +194
    Experience:
    1 year
    It could be clogged, try swishing your media around in a bucket of water during your next water change. Remove any inlet pipes and rinse them with hot water. Lastly if your comfortable enough remove your media and place it in a bucket of either tank water or clean dechloronated tap water unplug the filter and remove, take apart, and clean the internal pump of the filter. Or you can just purchase a new one and put your current media in there. If it were me I would assume a blockage somewhere first.

4. OP
    OP
    SpikeyPlant

Ratings:
    +3
    I already tried taking it apart and swishing the media and things, and the problem persists. It's good to know it's not normal though, I'll go out to get a new one in the morning.

5. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,472
    Experience:
    2 years
    did you remove the motor from the bottom of the U1 and clean out the impeller? i had a U3 that would have reduced flow every 4-5 months, I'd clean the impeller and its shooting water across the tank.

that's my U3 on the left side of the 55gallon storage container pond
    [​IMG]

6. OP
    OP
    SpikeyPlant

Ratings:
    +3
    I could give it a go, only I can't figure out how to get into it beyond exposing the propeller, which is clear.

7. Fishstery

FishsteryValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +194
    Experience:
    1 year
    Yeah if you already took apart the impeller like we said above then I would get a new one. It's a good possibility during the power outage it sat there and dry pumped for awhile, got enough to prime itself but did enough damage to the pump to keep it from running efficiently

8. OP
    OP
    SpikeyPlant

Ratings:
    +3
    Ok, thanks for all your help, I'll be off for a new one in the morning

9. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,198
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Ya know....if your going to be buying a new filter, I highly recommend the AquaClears. But I'm not familiar with the U1, so it is possible it's just as good and convenient