How much is enough?

1. onelovie

onelovie Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank with a canister filter but I was thinking of adding a second (power) filter. Is it possible to have too much filtration on a tank? It doesn't seem like it...but I'm relatively new to this hobby. Thanks for your help.

2. Mike

Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +676
    One of my 55's is utilizing a canister and power filter. I use the two filters with the intake tubes situated on opposite ends of the tank, because I have some larger fish in that tank (a few large angelfish and a pleco). It lets you have more surface area for biological filtration and the bonus is better mechanical filtration.

3. OP
    OP
    onelovie

onelovie Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, thanks for the quick reply! I'm new to this site, this is awesome.

4. Mike

Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +676
    Hey onelovie, welcome to the site!

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Usually you try to filter 10 times the volume of your tank, on the filter box it comes in it usually will say --- gph(gallons per hour). Two filters makes a world of difference.
    Hope that helps.
    Carol

6. Jessie_Lynn

Jessie_Lynn Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Exacty... you should always have a more powerful filter for your tank. For example instead of getting a 10 gallon filter for your ten gallon tank you should get the next more powerful filter available maybe a 20 gallon filter.

7. dano569

dano569 Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    this is very true i have 2 330 gph filters on both my 55's.it does make alot of difference.on my 20 i have a 125 gph and then a whisper 5-15 which i'm guessing is a 60 gph.i have the smaller one running in case i ever have to use it on the hospital tank,it will already have the bacteria on it.[thanks butterfly and isabella for the advice] ;) :D ;D 8) :-*

8. wilfie

wilfie Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    short of causing a "Tsunami" in your tank

the more filtration (thus turbulence) you have the more surface turbulance
    you'll have allowing more dispersion of carbon dioxide
    ant more absorption of oxygen
    this will give you a cleaner tank

and will allow you to add more fish

Wilfie

9. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +96
    You still don't want to overstock your tank. While it may have a higher levels of oxygen concentration with more filtration an over stocked tank will have a higher level of disolved solids(or waste) and these will raise your Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate levels which are lethal to your fish.
    Carol