How much is enough?

1. onelovie Member Member

I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank with a canister filter but I was thinking of adding a second (power) filter. Is it possible to have too much filtration on a tank? It doesn't seem like it...but I'm relatively new to this hobby. Thanks for your help.

2. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

One of my 55's is utilizing a canister and power filter. I use the two filters with the intake tubes situated on opposite ends of the tank, because I have some larger fish in that tank (a few large angelfish and a pleco). It lets you have more surface area for biological filtration and the bonus is better mechanical filtration.

3. onelovie Member Member

Wow, thanks for the quick reply! I'm new to this site, this is awesome.

4. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Hey onelovie, welcome to the site!

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Usually you try to filter 10 times the volume of your tank, on the filter box it comes in it usually will say --- gph(gallons per hour). Two filters makes a world of difference.
    Hope that helps.
    Carol

6. Jessie_Lynn Member Member

Exacty... you should always have a more powerful filter for your tank. For example instead of getting a 10 gallon filter for your ten gallon tank you should get the next more powerful filter available maybe a 20 gallon filter.

7. dano569 Member Member

this is very true i have 2 330 gph filters on both my 55's.it does make alot of difference.on my 20 i have a 125 gph and then a whisper 5-15 which i'm guessing is a 60 gph.i have the smaller one running in case i ever have to use it on the hospital tank,it will already have the bacteria on it.[thanks butterfly and isabella for the advice] ;) :D ;D 8) :-*

8. wilfie Initiate Member

short of causing a "Tsunami" in your tank

the more filtration (thus turbulence) you have the more surface turbulance
    you'll have allowing more dispersion of carbon dioxide
    ant more absorption of oxygen
    this will give you a cleaner tank

and will allow you to add more fish

Wilfie

9. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

You still don't want to overstock your tank. While it may have a higher levels of oxygen concentration with more filtration an over stocked tank will have a higher level of disolved solids(or waste) and these will raise your Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate levels which are lethal to your fish.
    Carol