Question How Much/ How Many Times A Day Should I Feed My Fantails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaganp1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ive been wondering about this for a while since neither of my fish are that big. I usually try to feed them three times a day, 6 new life spectrum goldfish pellets for griffin twice a day, while Lexii gets one NLS Goldie pellet plus four hikari fancy goldfish pellets twice a day as well. I usually try to give them both a salad of omega one red seaweed for their 2nd meal, although sometimes they don’t get it cause I don’t have the time. I’ve tried switching griffin to the hikari brand food, but it just gave her a bunch of gas, and really floaty poop full of bubbles. So I stick her to the NSL food. They both always get green peas once a week, and they also sometimes get blood worms. I don’t know if I’m feeding them enough though, I’ve had griffin for over a year and she’s definitely grow, and I’ve had Lexii for 6 months. I don’t know how old they both were initially when I first got them so I think griffin might be almost 2 or over 2 years old. Lexi I have no clue. Any help on how to get them to grow big and pretty?

Here is their daily food:
IMG_7918.JPG
IMG_7919.JPG
IMG_7920.JPG

And here are some current pics taken today of my fish:
IMG_7921.JPG
IMG_7924.JPG
IMG_7929.JPG
IMG_7932.JPG
IMG_7930.JPG
IMG_7925.JPG

It’s so hard to get pics of them. And pictures never do them justice! I wish I knew how to upload videos.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You're feeding too much. I also usually feed once a day. I hate to say it, because I'm the minority here, but lot of goldfish keepers feed way too much, and that causes a lot of health problems.

Reaganp1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You're feeding too much. I also usually feed once a day. I hate to say it, because I'm the minority here, but lot of goldfish keepers feed way too much, and that causes a lot of health problems.
Only once?! Oof, I guess I was worry way to much then. Should I keep feeding my little one three times a day though since she’s still a juvenile? I don’t feed big amounts to them. I max my big fish griffin to 6 pellets per feeding... unless she steals Lexii’s food. I thought you could feed multiple times a day if you give them small meals. I know that overfeeding is bad which is why I try not to do it.

Reaganp1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The more I read up on this feeding stuff the more I realize I really need to feed less. I’ll scoot griffin down to two small meals a day. Morning will be 4 pellets, evening will be some red seaweed. I’m gonna clean their tank again tomorrow and start fresh with them. I should have realized I was feeding a bit too much even though I measured their food out everyday. All the big poop at the bottom of my tank should have been a red flag :/ well, they’re both young so I’m glad I’m changing this now instead of later.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah two times is okay, but try to stick with small portions. Don't feed too much blood worms either. Mine get fed pellets once, occasionally twice a day, with the occasional treat of bloodworms or mosquito larvae that I collect from outside. Even with such minimal amount of feeding, my goldfish are big with nice girth. I can't imagine feeding them like how most goldfish keepers feed their fish, supplementing with lots of vegetables and high protein foods. On days I don't feed, they nibble on aquatic vegetation. Land plants are not the best for goldfish.

Reaganp1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah two times is okay, but try to stick with small portions. Don't feed too much blood worms either. Mine get fed pellets once, occasionally twice a day, with the occasional treat of bloodworms or mosquito larvae that I collect from outside. Even with such minimal amount of feeding, my goldfish are big with nice girth. I can't imagine feeding them like how most goldfish keepers feed their fish, supplementing with lots of vegetables and high protein foods. On days I don't feed, they nibble on aquatic vegetation. Land plants are not the best for goldfish.
Yeah, I don’t feed my goldfish bloodworms that often, it’s rarely now. Griffin seems to be sensitive to high protein foods, which is why I can’t feed her the hikari food. They love blood worms as treats though, and the go crazy over peas! Although those are also high protein. There have been days where she’s so full of gas that she just keeps floating to the top of the tank even though she doesn’t want to be up there! little one doesn’t have a problem with he high protein foods right now though. My bettas usually get blood worms, and brine shrimp, while only get fed once a day. I’m going to stick to new life spectrum, they have pretty high quality fish food! I’m gonna try giving them just two small meals a day now! thank you for your help and input!

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since goldies are naturally grazers, I would suggest feeding in minute amounts 2-3 times a day. My goldies in my pond spend a large amount of time eating algae/microorganisms in my pond, which I supplement weekly with prepared foods.

In the aquarium, I would personally feed close to daily (2 times a day or more) but that me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • No

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 33 63.5%

Top Bottom