How Much Gravel From Established Tank

Rj Forster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I want to add some substrate from an established tank to speed up a cycle. How much do i need for a 2.5 gal?

jmarks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
As much as you can get! haha, i have tried seeding a tank with used gravel and it really didnt help me as much as i was hoping. I would even suggest putting a bag of ot in your filter to help seed your filter media.

Rj Forster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Its for a betta. I know their bioload is minimal. Just wanted a little boost. Thanks for the advice

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Seeded gravel I've found does not do a good job starting or even speeding up a cycle. It's best to get some filter media or TSS+ to go along with it.

Apisto88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Substrate just doesn't seem to work that well. As has been suggested, filter media is the best.

jmarks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
if it is only for a betta tank, i wouldnt even worry about it....just keep up regular water changes for the first few weeks and it will cycle itself pretty easily

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
jmarks said:
if it is only for a betta tank, i wouldnt even worry about it....just keep up regular water changes for the first few weeks and it will cycle itself pretty easily
How come? Cycling a tank without seeded media or bacteria supplement will take months. The ammonia and the nitrite can grow to dangerous levels in less than a week, and that will really harm the betta. I will cycle a tank no matter what.

98% of bacteria is on the filter media and 2% on the gravel, decor, etc. So using gravel won't do much.

Tiny_Tanganyikans

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unless the established tank has an undergravel filter it will have zero effect in starting a cycle.

Even then the best way to do that is bagging the gravel in a filter bag and moving it into the new filter. Still I'd rather just use stability.

jmarks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
aquatickeeper said:
How come? Cycling a tank without seeded media or bacteria supplement will take months. The ammonia and the nitrite can grow to dangerous levels in less than a week, and that will really harm the betta. I will cycle a tank no matter what.

98% of bacteria is on the filter media and 2% on the gravel, decor, etc. So using gravel won't do much.
A single betta wont produce enough ammonia to allow high enough concentrations of ammonia or nitrite to build up before the bacteria develop. As long as you arent overfeeding. Bettas cycle their own tanks pretty easily. Heck, yypically they live in single small cups at the big box stores without any filters running.

I would just do 30% water changes every few days during the cycle if it makes you feel better.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
jmarks said:
A single betta wont produce enough ammonia to allow high enough concentrations of ammonia or nitrite to build up before the bacteria develop. As long as you arent overfeeding. Bettas cycle their own tanks pretty easily. Heck, yypically they live in single small cups at the big box stores without any filters running.

I would just do 30% water changes every few days during the cycle if it makes you feel better.
I disagree, but because of this thread, I won't debate with you.

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks like jmarks just found the inmortality elixir, how does he manage to keep his bettas alive for a month without water changes?
How does a fish cycle its own tank? Those small cups you see get daily 100% water changes and even then most bettas are in horrible conditions.
Secondly, a betta will not produce enough ammonia in a 100 gal to kill himself, but in a 2.5 gal things are different you know.

jmarks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BeanFish said:
Looks like jmarks just found the inmortality elixir, how does he manage to keep his bettas alive for a month without water changes?
How does a fish cycle its own tank? Those small cups you see get daily 100% water changes and even then most bettas are in horrible conditions.
Secondly, a betta will not produce enough ammonia in a 100 gal to kill himself, but in a 2.5 gal things are different you know.
All that I am pointing out to the OP is that for a single betta, they dont need to worry as much about seeding the new aquarium as the betta will cycle the tank by itself and not experience the same type of conditions a dozen tetras would.

And if you paid any sort of attention to what was stated before responding, i absolutely suggested water changes every few days. My betta is in a 5 gallon tank that he cycled himself, gets weekly water changes, and has been thriving for over a year!

And to further clarify your ridiculous post, a fish cycles its own tank by being the ammonia source. Its called a fish in cycle.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
jmarks said:
All that I am pointing out to the OP is that for a single betta, they dont need to worry as much about seeding the new aquarium as the betta will cycle the tank by itself and not experience the same type of conditions a dozen tetras would.

And if you paid any sort of attention to what was stated before responding, i absolutely suggested water changes every few days. My betta is in a 5 gallon tank that he cycled himself, gets weekly water changes, and has been thriving for over a year!

And to further clarify your ridiculous post, a fish cycles its own tank by being the ammonia source. Its called a fish in cycle you tard!
In order for that to happen, ammonia must be present. Ammonia is very toxic to the betta.

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
jmarks
Haha, I love it when they get triggered .
Here is what you said:
"A single betta wont produce enough ammonia to allow high enough concentrations of ammonia or nitrite to build up before the bacteria develop."
Cycling in general takes a month, put a betta in a 2.5 gal for a month without water changes and he will produce enough ammonia to kill himself.

You then said:
"I would just do 30% water changes every few days during the cycle if it makes you feel better."
Which sounds like you are suggesting that water changes are not necessary. But maybe my english sucks and I am actually a "tard"...

I myself do fish-in cycles and I do not think it is cruel if they are done correctly. You were talking about other stuff, or at least made it look that way.
Pro tip: The first one to get triggered in a discussion is the one that loses

Gekco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
BeanFish said:
put a betta in a 2.5 gal for a month without water changes and he will produce enough ammonia to kill himself.
This statement is actually debatable. When I first started fish keeping and had no clue what I was doing I had a betta in a 1.5 gallon bowl. No water changes, no bacteria, nothing. Just him and food and he actually survived longer than a month. Lived for about 1.5-2 years. Bettas are more hardy than you think.

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Are you gonna perform a scientific study where you put at least 100 bettas in 2.5 gallons with nothing but food to prove me wrong?
I am glad your fish maked it trough and I do realize how hardy Bettas are, one of my aunts kept a betta in a bowl with a plant and some food, no filter and no heater (Mexico is kind of desertic so you can guess by now that the betta had some pretty cool temperature swings... ) they changed the water like once a week with untreated tap water lol. The Betta survived quite a bit.
However I do not see how an annecotdal claim is strong enough to make my statement debatable, sure my aunts betta and your betta survived, but that does not prove that all bettas will be able to handle the heat or that it is cool and safe to do it.

Gekco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Why should I do a study with 100 Bettas in a 2.5gal? We all know that won't work, and your original statement was about one Betta, not 100.

"Put a Betta in a 2.5gal for a month without water changes and he WILL produce enough ammonia to kill himself."

It's debatable, my Betta managed to survive in a 1.5gal bowl. I've had friends keep a Betta in the same condition, same result. So no, having a Betta in a 2.5gal will not 100% kill the Betta due to ammonia. And of course all fish are different. Do I condone keeping a Betta in those conditions, of course not. We all know better now, part of being new to fish keeping. But then again, you're also the one who feels testing your water isn't necessary nor required so what do I know?

Let's not distract from the original question of this thread shall we?

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You misread or I miswrote, now that I think about it I probably miswrote.
I meant testing 100 bettas, each one in its own 2.5 gal and I think it is obvious it was a joke.

Lol, will my nickname now be the "fish killer" or will my posts have less weight because I do not test my water? If my practices did not work I would have already changed, but so far they are doing great.

And yeah, lets not derail from the original question. I may start WW3 here on fishlore by making a thread to discuss the testing water thing

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is Rj foster's thread, a reminder of their question
Rj Forster said:
I want to add some substrate from an established tank to speed up a cycle. How much do i need for a 2.5 gal?
Please don't derail this thread any further, address the op's question & not each other, if you want to continue your side discussion start a new thread

Rj Forster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So i guess substrate doesnt matter?

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It matters a little bit, not enough to make a big difference when trying to kickstart a cycle.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom