how much fry can go in a ½gallon tank?

DEADFISH

Reaction score
i have a tank that was once used for siamese fighting fish i'd say it's about ½gallon-1 gallon tank...what would the average amount of fry that should be in it?
Because i have 15 3 day old fry's (dalmation mollies) and was wondering if they could go in there because i don't have a breeding box or an extra tank besides that one.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's really not big enough to hold them because you need room for filter and heater and they won't be able to grow well in that tank either. so no

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
While the 1/2 gallon - 1 gallon tanks are not going away and they are the pet peeve of some of us, they are truly not a safe container for fry or any fish that is considered a Tropical fish.  They can be used perhaps for a shrimp or a snail or something on that order, but fish need a tank that can be heated and filtered and those tanks are just too small for either.  The smallest tank that can be SAFELY heated by a reliable heater is 2.5 gallons and that would probably be the smallest as far as the filtration due to the amount of water disturbance and the amount of room taken up by the filters and allowing for room for the fish to move about.  

Fry need special care to develop correctly.  Daily water changes of 50% to keep the water quality up and to make sure that the parameters stay as close to perfect as possible to allow the fins and body of the fish to develop without deformities or distortion.  They also need filters that are not going to suck them up into an intake tube.  Sponge filters are good for this purpose.  Most sponge filters are of some size and would not fit into a tank of the size you are talking about.  

If you are talking about the fry of a fish like a gold fish or some other cold water species then you may get by with a VERY temporary housing of the fry in this type of tank but even at that, the water parameters would have to be watched very closely to keep the fish from having deformaties.  The water changes would still need to be done.  And very few of them could be housed in the tank and they would need to be move very soon.

Most people use at least a 10 gallon tank as a growth tank for fry and in some species the recommendation is much higher.  With Betta Females the recommendation is 55 gallons for example and each male must have their own cup or jar to grow in.

If others have another opinion, they will post it, but this is what my opinion and what I have been able to find has told me.

Rose

Tamara

Valued Member
Reaction score
i used the tank for about 4 days...that's how long i was wondering if they could mostly survive in.
then i put them in a 10 gallon tank with just one albino cory catfish. and 3 died by being sucked up in the filter
fixed that problem by put like a screen over the filter sucking in thing
and was wondering if because they were in the smaller ½-1gallon tank they got S-shaped spines...because 5/9 have it..
and i'm really worried about them!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The problem may be ammonia in the small tank as I am guessing that it is unfiltered and unless the tank is being changed and cleaned every day they could be suffering from ammonia poisoning which fry are especially susceptible to.

Other that that it is so hard to tell. They may make it but they will probaby not be healthy.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom