How much frozen daphnia do I feed my betta with swim bladder disorder? Question

1. swolfe2 Initiate Member

Based on the symptoms (not being able to float or swim properly), I've determined my little betta has swim bladder disorder and probably constipation too (though he pooped once 2 or 3 days ago). The swim bladder symptoms started 5 days ago.

I already fasted him for 3 days. Then I tried feeding him the cooked/shelled pea, but he didn't go for that. I cleaned out his water while leaving him in. Then I bought cubed/frozen daphnia from Petsmart, but I wasn't sure how much to feed him. Yesterday I probably fed him about 1/4 or less of a frozen daphnia cube (thawed it in warmish water and poured it in). I'm not sure he ate any.

Basically, how often and how much of the frozen daphnia cubes should I feed him? And do you have any other suggestions for curing him of his swim bladder? Poor little guy his just lying on the bottom, though he does move around from time to time.

Thanks so much!

Additional details: This is my first betta; I got him about 3 months ago. He lives by himself in a 1/2 gallon tank. I'm pretty sure that his swim bladder was caused from either overfeeding (I was feeding him 3 pellets in the morning, 2 at night, and an extra one once in a while- I know now I shouldn't give him little "treats") or from feeding him dry pellets. I probably was also not cleaning his water as much as I should have been. I cleaned it every 2 or 3 weeks and used Aqueon's Betta Bowl Plus. I also have had to move him between locations a few time as I am a college student and have come home on 2 breaks since I've had him.

2. Diggly Well Known Member Member

first things first your information says you dont know about the nitrogen cycle, If you search this site you will find articles on it, the cycle is such an important factor in keepingfish and you happy and healthy.

Betta bowls really are no good for bettas. Can I confirm if the tank is heated and filtered?

How often do you do water changes? and do you have any pictures? it may help us help you with the diagnosis.

3. swolfe2 Initiate Member

well, I did read the article about it, but it seems that you need to start the cycle before you put the fish in the tank and mine's been in there for 3 months now. it says, "This is not the preferred way to get the nitrogen cycle started because the fish are being exposed to ammonia and nitrites during this process. Many fish can not and will not make it through the cycling process."

the tank is neither heated nor filtered. it's just a little square, plastic one that a friend gave me. she got it at petsmart.

The last time I did a water change was a few days ago, but I left Barry in the tank because I didn't want to move him around too much with his sickness and all. Normally I do water changes every 2 weeks, sometimes I've let it go until 3 weeks though :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note: the floating stuff in the water is the daphnia I put in yesterday

If those image links don't work just check out the websites directly

http://s994.photobucket.com/albums/... Betta/?action=view&current=xmaseve09014.jpg

:animal0068:Hello. I've merged your threads to save some space.
    Thanks!
    Ken

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi welcome to FishLore :)
    I'm sorry your betta isn't feeling well.
    Here's our Betta Care Guide

As Diggly mentioned it's important to learn about the Nitrogen Cycle

If he just pooed a couple days ago, I doubt it's constipation.
    He's probably feeling the effects of being exposed to ammonia in his water.
    Fish waste (ammonia) can build up quickly in a 1 gallon. With him being in a bowl, water changes should be done at least weekly, if not every few days.
    Imo, it would be a good idea to upgrade him to a heated filtered 5g tank.
    They're tropical fish and would do better with consistant water temps close to 78-80F.

Frozen daphnia can make a mess. If you can get Freeze Dried Daphnia (found in the reptile section), it's a lot easier to control the amount that's left over.
    Left over food creates ammonia also.
    If you soak a few bits (the size of his eye) of frozen pea (thawed and shelled) in garlic juice, it might entice him to eat it. Garlic juice acts as an appetite enhancer and also helps his immune system.

I think, if you're able to upgrade his tank with warm water and keep his water free of ammonia he'll be feeling better.

Best of luck with your boy.

Edit: Just saw Barry's picture. Oh dear, the poor little guy is on his side. :(
    Does he go up for air?

5. swolfe2 Initiate Member

thanks for all your help

a question about the frozen/thawed pea though...I tried doing that about 3 days ago, but since he can't swim to the top he can't really eat anything unless it reaches him. I pushed the pea bits toward him at the bottom but he never even ate them. I eventually took them out b/c I didn't know if that my add to the ammonia build up.

no he can't go up for air. :(

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Removing the uneaten pea was a good idea. You're right about the ammonia.

I hate to say to lower the water since he's not in that much now, but if he'll lay on a soft silk plant near the surface, maybe he'll be able to get a breath.
    Try soaking the bits of pea in garlic juice, many bettas can't resist the smell.

7. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

Oh my, he can't get to the surface to breathe? Temporarily lowering the water level is better than him slowly drowning. Is he in a warm spot in your home? Bettas like warm water. My boys' tanks are at 80F. I do hope you are able to help Barry. Poor little fella. :(

8. swolfe2 Initiate Member

Alright I will try that tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Thank you!

Hi everybody,

So, the next day, Christmas day, I woke up and Barry made a whole swim around the tank and even got 2 breaths of air. I was so happy, throughout the day he would do that every few hours. Then I soaked a thawed/shelled pea in water with garlic (to make the garlic juice). I cut the pea into a few tiny pieces and gave that along with a bit of the garlic juice (since I've been reading that bettas love the garlic) into Barry's tank. Again, he didn't go for the peas. I eventually took them out. The next day when I woke up he was dead. I feel like it must have been the garlic juice since he seemed like he was doing better. I only put a little bit in, but I feel that must have done it. Really upsetting.
    :animal0068:Hello. I've merged your posts to save some space.
    Thanks!
    Ken

9. Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

I'm sorry you lost him.....With the tank you had him in you would need to do daily water changes.....

10. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm so sorry you lost Barry. :(
    Garlic juice wouldn't have killed him unless a whole bunch was dumped in the tank.

RIP Little guy.

11. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

I'm so sorry you lost poor Barry.

I can't imagine the garlic juice causing his death.

12. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

I'm am so sorry for your loss. :(

I dont think it was the garlic to blame. Sometimes bettas can dart around like crazy a couple of hours before they pass away - it is like their last ditch attempt to shake off what is ailing them. They are very persistent creatures and want to be sure they can't defeat their illness before they let it win.

13. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I'm sorry Barry didn't make it. :(

14. agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

so sorry you lost your betta :(

15. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. Sorry to read about your betta loss.
    RIP
    Ken

16. swolfe2 Initiate Member

Thanks for all of the condolences everybody.
    It's just that so many people have betta in those tanks like I did and I know people who've had them for years.
    I'll have to take better care of him next time.
    RIP Barry