Help How Much Food For Goldfish?

Katkatt

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So I have a pair of regular, good old fashioned common goldfish in a big old tank in my house. They're both big babies, I got them from a fair when i was younger and dumber.

They're about five years old each and about a hand length long (so about 5-6 inches?)

I've been improving their lives since i realized that fish need, yknow, and it just crossed my mind.... am i feeding them too much? I feed them twice a day and about half a handfull of pellets a day IN TOTAL.

I feed them omega one goldfish pellets, but how much do y'all think i should feed them? Or is that good?

Jim2195

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Should be ok. However if you notice they don’t finish up all the food within a few minutes and they leave it there to rot, then feed them less.

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you know how much your fish weigh? That's one way to do it. I weighed mine (put a plastic container of their water on a digital scale, zeroed it out and then put a fish in) and it wasn't that hard to do. They say to feed 2% of their body weight a day. I weighed in grams and then checked out how much food I was normally putting in to see how close to that I was getting, divided into at least two meals a day.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom