How much flow is too much??

ghostfaced

Hello all!! So I just upgraded my 2213 Eheim canister to a 2217. BIG difference. I made the change, because I bought a 1/10 Oceanic chiller, and it recommends between 200 and 300 GPH. The 2217 gives like 267 GPH or so. The canister works great, and the chiller works great also, but I find the fish are being a little blown around. I closed the disconnect valve after the chiller a little to give a little relief to the fish. My question is: How much can I close the valve without harming the filter? Will closing the valve harm the filter at all?? I don't want to close it too much either.. I have a 36G bowed with just a few little gold fish right now. ALso, is there a placement that would work better for the spray bar as well so there are not downward currents created. I have the spray bar located at the top-middle right below the water level blowing straight across the top.

Hsunami

You can drilling the spray bar bigger so the pressure isn't so strong

Aquarist

Hello GhostFaced and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

ghostfaced

Thanks Aquarist48!! I'm enjoying the site.

Drilling the spray bar, that is interesting. When you mean that, you mean to just drill more holes in the existing length right? You didn't mean that I somehow drill out the end to make it longer with another piece??

protocl

I would not reduce flow from the valves, also agree on drilling the output holes bigger.

claudicles

Just make the original holes larger. Adding more would achieve the same effect I guess.

Hsunami

just take a drill and find a nail that is bigger than the original hole and drill to widen it

go slowly you do not want to crack the tube itself

ghostfaced

Hey guys!!
So I did what you said about drilling holes into the spray bar, and it worked perfectly. My only question is: Do the bigger holes reduce the flow rate?? I know that sounds like a stupid question, but I'm just trying to get as much information as possible. I measured my flow rate prior to drilling the holes, and I got it at 169.8 GPH. I think that is pretty good considering it is going through a chiller and about 7ft of head.

protocl

Hey guys!!
So I did what you said about drilling holes into the spray bar, and it worked perfectly. My only question is: Do the bigger holes reduce the flow rate?? I know that sounds like a stupid question, but I'm just trying to get as much information as possible. I measured my flow rate prior to drilling the holes, and I got it at 169.8 GPH. I think that is pretty good considering it is going through a chiller and about 7ft of head.

reduced exiting pressure.

claudicles

Hey guys!!

The hole size won't affect flow. It is kind of like putting a certain amount of flow through a large river verses a small stream. The stream would be extraordinarily turbulant where the river would probaly be calm.

ghostfaced

Thanks all for your responses!! Helped very much!!!!!!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bermuda Triangle
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
fyrefish
Replies
Views