How much flow is too much?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by the peacock gudgeon, Jul 20, 2015.

1. the peacock gudgeonValued MemberMember

How much flow is too much? I have a canister filter, small hang on back and a power head on my 5 gallon reef tank. Today I turned an aquaclear 50 into a refugium. Should I take the power head out or leave it. I am asking this because im not sure if it is too much for my tank

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Need some info... What size is your tank and what kind of filters are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    t

the peacock gudgeonValued MemberMember

5 gallon tank and a sun sun filter. Not sure what model and an aquaclear power head and an aquatop 10 filter.

4. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yea that's probably way too much flow, even the smallest sunsun canister is rated for 30 gallons I think. Bluestreakfl may know.

5. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Ok I just realized this thread was in the SW section... all you should really need is live rock for filtration and a refugium to grow chaeto.

6. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

What do you have in the tank? I think a canister filter might be a little too much. Do you see anything being blown around?

7. OP
    OP
    t

the peacock gudgeonValued MemberMember

Mushroom coral. Grean star polyps. Some zoanthyds I think , sorry for the spelling and some stony polyp things o forgot the name

8. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Please complete your Aquarium Profile Information. This Information will aid others with their responses. To access the Profile, click on Forum Actions in the bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on Edit Profile. Be sure to hit SAVE when you are done.

Thanks!

Ken

9. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hi,
    Nothing wrong with a lot of flow in a reef tank. Science doesn't even know how fast a natural reef turns its water. The corals and stock will tell you if it's too much.

A canister on a nano tank could be asking for bad things - think nitrate factory. Depends how often you want to clean it out.

Most of the answers you are after are covered well in the SW Beginners stickies, so I won't regurgitate what we already have ;)

EDIT: I will add, that
    I slightly disagree, it's not always this simple. Yes LR should be primary bio filtration, but there are alternatives to chaeto, not to mention, the most important aspect is understanding what one is doing. I have no refugium, no chaeto, no macro algaes of any sort ;)
    In fact, macro algae growing is quickly becoming 'old-school' in terms of nutrient control :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice