How much fish is too much fish

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Fashooga, Jan 9, 2013.

1. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

I want to add a few white skirts and serpas since I need to complete their communities...but given what I have in there already, how much fish is too much?

2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I think more than 4 schools is too many for a 55.

3. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Great..I'm pushing 5 or 6...

4. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

Probably shouldn't. ;)

5. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Sounds like it's time for some rehoming.

6. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Bah! I'm just going to leave it alone than...if it aint broke don't fix.

7. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Words to live by

8. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

And die bye. That saying has no applications to a fish tank.

9. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I disagree. I see many applications.

10. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Aside from mechanical aspects. To say that about fish is inaccurate since they are prone to change in any progressing situation. Just because they are working now doesn't mean they will be in 2 hours. Fish arn't "Broke" they are improperly cared for.

11. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

That's certainly one aspect.

But there are MANY aspects, including the subject matter at hand for this thread. "Fixing it" refers to adding more fish - fish that aren't needed.

Me? I don't want to add live plants to my tanks because they are not broken and they dont need fixing.

12. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Fixing it means removing fish from the tank, that is what i suggested isn't it? I could swear that's what rehoming means? We already cleared that no more fish need to be added. But there are several incomplete schools in the tank, the schools need to be reduced and the ones left need to be increased in individuals.
    4 lamp light tetras, 1 Rosy Barb, 6 black skirt tetras, 3 White Skirt, 1 Serpae Tetras, 2 Albino Cory, 2 Pepper Cory and 1 pearl.

all but the skirts need more members. I would drop the serpae and barbs at least. Keep one of the cory schools and up it to 6-8 and then get 1-2 more pearls.

13. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

14. petlorileaValued MemberMember

Your white skirts likely school with the black skirts, so I would only get your serpaes and lamp lights to a school of 6. Consider rehoming your rosy....they can get nippy, and all those skirts will be irresistable.
    BTW: I haven't seen pristellas in years. Lucky you! :)

15. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Serpae are far more nippy then rosy barbs(not nippy at all imo.) People need to just stop thinking all barbs nip, just because tigers do doesn't mean they all do. Rosy and Golds are two very calm species of fish, bottom line. Serpae tend to be right there with tiger barbs.

16. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I agree - barbs are no nippier than tetras.

When I moved my serpae school to the tiger barb tank (because they were very nippy), the tigers showed them the true meaning of nip. The tigers killed 2 of the tetras immediately and beat up the others. That was the only incident I had keeping them together. The 7 that survived never nipped again...

17. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Like an episode of Scared Straight?

18. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

It was utter chaos - a complete brawl. And then it just stopped abruptly and I never witnessed another fight.

19. cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

ha my serpae tetras killed my school of tiger barbs. I have had some that dont nip at all and others thats all they do . I guess it depends on the fish

20. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

This may sound weird...that serpae tetra actually is hanging with the persilla tetras often. The whites do hang out with the black skirts (no race riots going) and the Rosy barb...although he can be a jerk come feeding time, he's actually pretty friendly with the rest of the others. He doesn't nip as often as he used to.

I've decided against putting in new fish.

I'm just going to focus on working on my in law's tank now that they had some fish died...new thread!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice