How much filtration? Question 

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Wyo...

Mechanical filters do a good job of agitating the surface to mix oxygen into the tank water. But, they do a very poor job of keeping the tank water clean, because no filter can replace the toxic water. I have a 300 gallon tank and change half the water every month and have no mechanical filtration. I use lava rock substrate topped with polished gravel to house the bacteria colony and have a large air stone attached to an air pump to keep the oxygen level good for the fish. If you have a filter with a gph of roughly 4 times the volume of the tank and change half the water monthly, the tank inhabitants should be fine. Keep the food to a minimum and use some kind of floating plant to help steady the water chemistry. I like Dwarf water lettuce.

Old

Wyo365

Reaction score
Islandvic said:
can you add a sump?
I've always wanted to try the sump approach, but I have hope for the current filter i own. I have several supplies for Fluval FX4 that will last a few years. But thanks for the suggestion.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you want to add a 2nd canister, PetSmart will have the FX4/FX6 on sale 50% off black Friday, and probably through Sat+Sun (they did last year).

This year's ad advises about online BF sales as well, so if you dont live near a store or dont want to deal with traffic, ordering online might be an option as well.

Wyo365

Reaction score
Islandvic said:
If you want to add a 2nd canister, PetSmart will have the FX4/FX6 on sale 50% off black Friday, and probably through Sat+Sun (they did last year).

This year's ad advises about online BF sales as well, so if you dont live near a store or dont want to deal with traffic, ordering online might be an option as well.
Thanks. Yes, I can't wait to go shopping black friday. I heard about the sales Petsmart and Petco have. I'm sure it will be a very limited supply. I already have the second filter that I wanted to add, but was unsure.
My question is based on your or any of your friends experience, would two FX4 filters be to much filtration for a 210g aquarium.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom