How Much Filtration Is Enough?

onelovie

Reaction score
I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank with a canister filter but I was thinking of adding a second (power) filter. Is it possible to have too much filtration on a tank? It doesn't seem like it...but I'm relatively new to this hobby. Thanks for your help.

Mike

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One of my 55's is utilizing a canister and power filter. I use the two filters with the intake tubes situated on opposite ends of the tank, because I have some larger fish in that tank (a few large angelfish and a pleco). It lets you have more surface area for biological filtration and the bonus is better mechanical filtration.

OP
O

onelovie

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the quick reply! I'm new to this site, this is awesome.

Mike

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey onelovie, welcome to the site!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Usually you try to filter 10 times the volume of your tank, on the filter box it comes in it usually will say --- gph(gallons per hour). Two filters makes a world of difference.
Hope that helps.
Carol

Jessie_Lynn

Reaction score
Exacty... you should always have a more powerful filter for your tank. For example instead of getting a 10 gallon filter for your ten gallon tank you should get the next more powerful filter available maybe a 20 gallon filter.

dano569

Reaction score
this is very true I have 2 330 gph filters on both my 55's.it does make a lot of difference.on my 20 I have a 125 gph and then a whisper 5-15 which i'm guessing is a 60 gph.I have the smaller one running in case I ever have to use it on the hospital tank,it will already have the bacteria on it.[thanks butterfly and isabella for the advice] ;D 8) :-*

wilfie

Reaction score
short of causing a "Tsunami" in your tank

the more filtration (thus turbulence) you have the more surface turbulance
you'll have allowing more dispersion of carbon dioxide
ant more absorption of oxygen
this will give you a cleaner tank

and will allow you to add more fish

Wilfie

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You still don't want to overstock your tank. While it may have a higher levels of oxygen concentration with more filtration an over stocked tank will have a higher level of disolved solids(or waste) and these will raise your Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate levels which are lethal to your fish.
Carol

New Threads