How much filtration am i getting?

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
797
Hi, I'm currently running an aqueon single port 40g pump with the multistage box filter pictured below. I have a 10g hob on this tank as well. Total volume of tank is 10g.
Any idea how much filtration the box filter gives me in GPH? Aqueon doesn't specify the flow of this pump but the tetra equivalent is only about 20 GPH. Seems a bit low and I dont know if aur volume = water displaced.

Thanks
 

Attachments

  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
797
richiep said:
Is that just plane gravel in that filter
Dunno, it's a mix of different gravel and ceramic beads that came with it. I didn't bother changing it out. Doesn't seem to bother the fish at all so far, but I'm new at this. Should I remove it? I also have ceramic beads in my HOB filter

Looks like there might be a few bits of lava rock in it as well
 

Tallen78

Active Member
Member
Messages
472
No i
Pfrozen said:
Dunno, it's a mix of different gravel and ceramic beads that came with it. I didn't bother changing it out. Doesn't seem to bother the fish at all so far, but I'm new at this. Should I remove it? I also have ceramic beads in my HOB filter

Looks like there might be a few bits of lava rock in it as well
No it’s all surface area for ur bb to grow on but it does look like plain gravel which isn’t a bad thing that filter should handle a 10g with no problem u can increase the flow with more air
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,886
What is wrong with it is the way its setup, your gravel should be together your black sponge together then the white floss so if the flow is from the bottom up you place the black sponge at the bottom with the white floss directly on top then your media as the last stage, this will give you the best performance
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
797
richiep said:
What is wrong with it is the way its setup, your gravel should be together your black sponge together then the white floss so if the flow is from the bottom up you place the black sponge at the bottom with the white floss directly on top then your media as the last stage, this will give you the best performance
Oh thank you!! I'll change that!! I have two different black sponges in there, course and fine. Which should be places on top of the white sponges?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
797
richiep said:
What is wrong with it is the way its setup, your gravel should be together your black sponge together then the white floss so if the flow is from the bottom up you place the black sponge at the bottom with the white floss directly on top then your media as the last stage, this will give you the best performance
I forgot to mention, the intake is on the top as well, I think water flows in through there but ultimately moves from bottom to top as air pushing it out
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,886
This is the order course on the bottom then fine then white floss they can all be stacked on top of each other if you want
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
797
richiep said:
This is the order course on the bottom then fine then white floss they can all be stacked on top of each other if you want
Thank you. Should I use double layers of sponges since I have 2 stages of them or just use 1 layer, save the other sponges, and add some more ceramic beads?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
797
Tallen78 said:
No i

No it’s all surface area for ur bb to grow on but it does look like plain gravel which isn’t a bad thing that filter should handle a 10g with no problem u can increase the flow with more air
Thanks man I have a 10g hob on there too so hopefully its good
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
797
The flow is from top to bottom after checking the filter out, not bottom to top. Does that change how I should rearrange it Ritchie?
 

Tallen78

Active Member
Member
Messages
472
Pfrozen said:
The flow is from top to bottom after checking the filter out, not bottom to top. Does that change how I should rearrange it Ritchie?
Course pads first then med then fine with the flow of water so whatever way ur water comes in that’s where the course first whether top or bottom the floss should be the last thing ur water travels thru for polishing
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
797
Tallen78 said:
Course pads first then med then fine with the flow of water so whatever way ur water comes in that’s where the course first whether top or bottom the floss should be the last thing ur water travels thru for polishing
Thanks!
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,886
Sorry fell asleep yes just swap around as Tallen78 as said, and you dont have to use all pads but now these are working id leave them in, you can swap things as you want later
 

Beneful1

Active Member
Member
Messages
69
If you use a polishing pad as the last stage before the water re enters the tank that can backfire on you cuausing partiles that are not getting through as the filter clogs to back flow onto your ceramic rings etc and clog them..I'm not one for using "filter cloths" as the end of the filtering cycle.. YMMV
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,886
Take a look at this picture this is the cycle with water coming in at the top, all your pads first and media last with no restrictions at the end, do not put another pad after the stone it should have free flow from there

 

Flyfisha

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,204
A point of interest. I actually have some of those box filters. They are not like a standard box filter. The water enters at the top like a standard box filter BUT also down in the second chamber there are holes for another inlet of water. A totally crazy set up . IMO. The way you see it is how it would work without filling in the second lot of holes.
I played around with the lift tube as well , Sorry I don’t remember how it was set up as i siliconed the lift tube . Put silicon on the second set of holes and rearranged the media.

The truth is the gravel looked like it came from the side of the road . There were sticks grass and something else that I don’t remember in the four I brought. Making me think they are copies of a box filter that someone had made without any idea how they should work.


A snapshot.
i see now I had to extend the lift tube and silicon holes at the bottom.
It’s a useless filter the way it comes out of the package Pfrozen if it looks similar . I have changed it completely but am still not happy with it
image.jpg


edit, I am almost certain the brand name was ORCA .
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18
OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
797
Flyfisha said:
A point of interest. I actually have some of those box filters. They are not like a standard box filter. The water enters at the top like a standard box filter BUT also down in the second chamber there are holes for another inlet of water. A totally crazy set up . IMO. The way you see it is how it would work without filling in the second lot of holes.
I played around with the lift tube as well , Sorry I don’t remember how it was set up as i siliconed the lift tube . Put silicon on the second set of holes and rearranged the media.

The truth is the gravel looked like it came from the side of the road . There were sticks grass and something else that I don’t remember in the four I brought. Making me think they are copies of a box filter that someone had made without any idea how they should work.


A snapshot.
i see now I had to extend the lift tube and silicon holes at the bottom.
It’s a useless filter the way it comes out of the package Pfrozen if it looks similar . I have changed it completely but am still not happy with it
image.jpg


edit, I am almost certain the brand name was ORCA .
richiep said:
Take a look at this picture this is the cycle with water coming in at the top, all your pads first and media last with no restrictions at the end, do not put another pad after the stone it should have free flow from there

Thanks a lot for the help guys. Mine looks a bit different from the ORCA one, my lift tube extends all the way to the bottom already which is perfect. Only thing is that the gravel is sitting in little cups that needs to stay inside the filter because the entire thing assembled creates the lift tube, without the inserts the tube is broken. All I really need to do is switch out the second layer of sponges for some beads and it'll work as intended.

One thing that is similar to the pic is the drainage holes at the bottom. Those shouldn't be there. I see you glued your shut, I just have mine buried in substrate instead. Seems to be okay for now. As long as it doesn't draw water in from the bottom it should work properly

Edit: omg, nevermind. This design is weird. It actually draws air from the top AND bottom with the lift tube ending in the middle. So it really should be (from top to bottom) sponges, gravel, and then sponges again on the bottom. But I have mine buried because it's too tall for my tank. So the air is coming in from the top and moving upwards before it even hits the second stage. Basically it's only working half as well as it should :/
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #19
OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
797
I'm throwing these out since they actually do nothing for my tank. My LFS sells the shorter ones that work as intended. What a waste! At least I have some sponges I guess. Oh well.
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,886
It was earth a shot but if you feel they don't do the job dont mess about its not worth it
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #21
OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
797
richiep said:
It was earth a shot but if you feel they don't do the job dont mess about its not worth it
No kidding! I got them from a local buy and sell for very cheap. I didn't realize they were such poor products. I just checked and it looks like the gravel inside is super dusty. It's a good thing I kept the floss! I'm surprised my fish didn't die because who knows where that gravel came from. Dosing with prime and removing from my tank IMMEDIATELY! thanks again for leading me to investigate this
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #22
OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
797
I bought a sponge filter but it seems overpowered for my 10g on a 40g air pump now lol. I guess that box filter was indeed pretty inefficient cus it barely worjed. The surface of my tank is noticeably wavy... Good for my rasboras and my bamboo shrimp for when I powder feed but I won't be able to keep floating plants now lol. I didn't want to make a new thread for this, if anyone reads this is it okay to have an overpowered sponge filter like this in my tank? Thanks.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
175
Guests online
2,943
Total visitors
3,118

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom