How Much Does Your Vet Cost You?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I’m trying to decide whether to purchase a $49/month plan to cover routine care, shots, blood work, test......or put cash in a jar to be ready when vet time comes

What do you people actually pay in vet bills for routine care? And is insurance worth it, if so which plan?

BHK3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Does it include any coverage for emergency surgeries?

Or medications or other medical issues?

Last edited by a moderator:

radar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Overall I'm not sure it's worth it. If you unfortunately end up with a chronic condition maybe. Check the small print as they say.

Stephie F

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you're talking about dogs, my family does the routine care, which costs us about $1500 a year for our 2 dogs! This care is through the clinic, not insurance. The only reason we got it is because our older dog needs teeth pulled, and it was cheaper to do under the plan (without it, the surgery alone about be over $1000). Both of them are also getting up there in age, so it's easier to expect the worse and pay for the plan, especially since one of them is a mutt with a host of health issues. If it covers emergencies, I would think it's worth it to get it. If not, then it depends on your animals health and how you think they will be in the future.

For further reference (no plan)
Check-up and 3 Shots- $300
3 Shots-$100
Molars Pulled and skin tags removed-(predicted)- $1500

OP
sassymomma

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks Stephanie, that’s helpful

So far Shamas looks pretty healthy, but has not seen a vet of our choosing so I have only the knowledge that he was vet cleared, vaccinated and licensed for 2years.

The plan that covers everything is $99/month. That would do dental as well

The basic plan does routine care-shots, routine tests, visits etc and comes out to about $600/year

He’s 5 now so I would expect some joint care, teeth problem in the next few years. I give him bones for his teeth and he’s a good weight....55-60lbs full grown. Solid muscle (most of which was gained in the 2month since I got him)

My only concern health wise is some mild lameness after walking in the cold dampness. That has improved with the muscle development, but was fairly pronounced when we got him. He was very skinny and his legs were spindly the first thing we did was put him on good food with fish as the main ingredient for his joints and muscles

Stephie F

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks Stephanie, that’s helpful

So far Shamas looks pretty healthy, but has not seen a vet of our choosing so I have only the knowledge that he was vet cleared, vaccinated and licensed for 2years.

The plan that covers everything is $99/month. That would do dental as well

The basic plan does routine care-shots, routine tests, visits etc and comes out to about $600/year

He’s 5 now so I would expect some joint care, teeth problem in the next few years. I give him bones for his teeth and he’s a good weight....55-60lbs full grown. Solid muscle (most of which was gained in the 2month since I got him)

My only concern health wise is some mild lameness after walking in the cold dampness. That has improved with the muscle development, but was fairly pronounced when we got him. He was very skinny and his legs were spindly the first thing we did was put him on good food with fish as the main ingredient for his joints and muscles
He sounds like a very beautiful boy! I would ask the vet for estimates on prices. It very well might be cheaper to pay out of pocket for shots and check-ups, and tests differ from area to area, so that would be worth checking out! Some are a one-and-done, some are very frequent. Depending on the breed, it might be worth it to check out common health issues with the breed, and see when they begin to occur. Like German Shepherds are prone to hip dysplasia, Shitzus are prone to collapsed trachea, etc. As of right now though, I wouldn't worry too much about him he sounds wonderful!!!

OP
sassymomma

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
As far as I can tell, hip displasia, elbow problems, arthritis. And I looked into one insurance company already, only to find out that he may not be eligible for coverage for the one thing I'm concerned about based on their "preixisting condition" clause. It would rule out most dental, and anything that is of concern now;mainly the limp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Weekly

Votes: 81 68.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 14 11.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 19 16.1%

Top Bottom