How much does driftwood lower pH?

Fishfriendkeeper

I’m rescaping my tank in a couple months but I need to come up with ideas now. I wanted fake driftwood, so I didn’t get any tannins, but I decided it might be better to go with real. I was planning to go with spider wood, as it doesn’t release as many tannins as other wood and I like the look more. But how much would it lower my pH? pH is around 7.5, KH is around 8, and GH is around 25.

StarGirl

It wont lower it much at all. I wouldnt worry about it.
Wow I thought I had high GH at 15. o_O

MacZ

KH is around 8
This is the important number. You would have to put a lot of wood that's very rich in humic substances in there to get anything moving.

StarGirl

This is the important number. You would have to put a lot of wood that's very rich in humic substances in there to get anything moving.
Yes that is what mine is also. I had a black piece of Mopani that turned the water dark brown and it did nothing to the pH.

Fishfriendkeeper

Ok, so I should be fine to add the driftwood. Thanks!
Wow I thought I had high GH at 15.
I have platies and swordtails in the tank. I have to add salt to my water when I do a water change, a couple of the platies don’t like when the water gets below 20 (it never has but I added them to a qt tank with a GH of 10 and they acted weird, added some salt to raise GH and they were fine. I now keep it high so I don’t risk stressing them.)

chromedome52

Platies are fine at a GH of 10, but you have to acclimate them slowly when coming from very high GH. General rule I've found is that fish will adapt quickly to harder water, but must be slow acclimated to softer water. The use of salt makes this worse, as lowering salt levels must be done even more slowly than just hard water.

Fishfriendkeeper

Platies are fine at a GH of 10, but you have to acclimate them slowly when coming from very high GH. General rule I've found is that fish will adapt quickly to harder water, but must be slow acclimated to softer water. The use of salt makes this worse, as lowering salt levels must be done even more slowly than just hard water.
Yes, I do know that they are fine with a GH of ten. Thanks for the acclimation advice. All of my fish are thriving with this high GH and I don’t really want to stress them by lowering the GH, especially if they are fine with the high GH.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Sorg67
Replies
Views
Utar
Replies
Views
Slowcheetah
Replies