How much does a Betta eat?

Ellebrius

I’ve had Milo for a week now and he’s doing great, still a little shy but coming along fine.
When I bought him from the lfs I asked what they were feeding him and they said Bug Bites so I bought those For Medium Tropical Fish and I have been giving him 4, 5 pellets twice a day. He never eats when I’m there and doesn’t seem to notice the pellets when I drop them. I see him later on picking at the gravel so I hope he is eating. Yesterday I bought him some Bloodwoorms the San Francisco Bay brand, they come as little squares in a blister pack. I take out a square cut off a small piece maybe the size of a long grain rice or equivalent and drop it in the tank. Again he doesn’t notice the drop and I see the little worm pieces go to the bottom and he doesn’t eat, but again when I come back I can’t see any worms.
He is in a 15 gallon at a steady 80 F and the tank is cycled with perfect water parameters. Is he eating? Am I feeding him enough? After doing more reading here I am going to go buy him some Omega Flakes as well but how many flakes should I feed him? I can’t go by the as much as he can eat in 2 minutes rule because so far I have never seen him eat. Here is a picture of him taken today, he looks good to me.

FishPlanet

Can you post an above pic of him? It'll be easier to determine if he's eating. :)

Upvote 0

Ellebrius

Can you post an above pic of him? It'll be easier to determine if he's eating. :)
I posted 2, can you not see them.
Oh, sorry now I understand. Brb
It’s very hard to do with a Fluval closed cover you can’t open but I got a really good close-up and one from above through the condensation bubbles where circled him in red.

Upvote 0

FoldedCheese

How long have you had him and what are your exact parameters? How long did you cycle your tank for? It's normal for new bettas to be extra shy and not want to eat but it's not healthy to just dump food in and hope it eventually gets eaten. Hopefully you're vacuuming the uneaten food afterwards. I like to feed pellets one at a time and use tongs for his frozen foods to minimize waste.

To answer your question about how much to feed it depends on the betta. Size and activity level play a role in knowing how much to feed. You want to look for a slightly distended stomach after feeding that goes back down to normal size by his next meal time. As you can imagine the amount needed to get a rounded stomach will vary form betta to betta even day to day. For example, my full grown plakat betta usually gets 6-8 cichlid bug bites per day, or 5-6 betta pellets. Frozen foods are fed until he's pretty round since they are easier to digest.

*As a side note it looks like he's starting to change color, how exciting! Maybe red. :)

Upvote 0

Ellebrius

How long have you had him and what are your exact parameters? How long did you cycle your tank for? It's normal for new bettas to be extra shy and not want to eat but it's not healthy to just dump food in and hope it eventually gets eaten. Hopefully you're vacuuming the uneaten food afterwards. I like to feed pellets one at a time and use tongs for his frozen foods to minimize waste.

To answer your question about how much to feed it depends on the betta. Size and activity level play a role in knowing how much to feed. You want to look for a slightly distended stomach after feeding that goes back down to normal size by his next meal time. As you can imagine the amount needed to get a rounded stomach will vary form betta to betta even day to day. For example, my full grown plakat betta usually gets 6-8 cichlid bug bites per day, or 5-6 betta pellets. Frozen foods are fed until he's pretty round since they are easier to digest.

*As a side note it looks like he's starting to change color, how exciting! Maybe red. :)
Parameters are 7.4 - 0 - 0 - 5ppm
I have had him for 6 days
I vacuum but I don’t find anything, I have changed 1/3 of his water every second day and vacuum but I don’t see any food waste.
Your explanations on how you feed your Betta is exactly what I needed to know, and I’m going to use tongs from now on so I know exactly how much he gets. Thank you for your help, much appreciate.
On a side note reply, I hope he stays blue but like you I think maybe red. I already am in love with him so any color will be fine.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ellebrius
Replies
Views
flyinGourami
Replies
Views
Orion1066
  • Question