How Much Do You Guys Pay Attention To Ph?

Discussion in 'pH' started by Accents, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Accents

AccentsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +186
    Experience:
    1 year
    Now that I'm getting more and more into fishkeeping, I find that I'm interested in a lot of oddball fish, but most of them seem to like a lower pH, 6-7.5. My tap goes to 8.0 after a day, and even when I'm adding tannins I can't control the exact pH. Do you think fish that prefer softer water could adapt and actually do well in my tanks if everything else is correct? I don't want to tamper with pH besides adding botanicals and peat moss if necessary.

2. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,413
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It would depend on which odd ball. Some are still wild caught though healthier over all they don't always adapt well to our water.

3. OP
    OP
    Accents

Ratings:
    +186
    Experience:
    1 year
    I've been interested in glass catfish and whiptail catfish mostly, maybe anchor catfish. I guess they don't really count as oddball, but they aren't bred a lot in captivity so I'm a little worried about how well they would adapt. Should I just ask the dealer their water parameters?

4. Celestialpearl

CelestialpearlValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +115
    I try to make sure the fish I want to keep are compatible with what I am able to provide. If my water is not able to meet the needs of the fish then I would only be putting the fish under stress thus decreasing its overall health and lifespan.

I want to keep a tank of cichlids. Water at home was perfect, water here...not so much. So I don't keep them, but I still admire.

If you have the money getting an RO buddy or any RO system does help with this as it strips the water, makes it more acidic. Then you just have to adjust with tap and a remineralizer.

5. OP
    OP
    Accents

Ratings:
    +186
    Experience:
    1 year
    I don't have an RO system and I've heard that the diamond tetras also like acidic water and they're fine right now, very active and also eating well. The main thing is that I've heard that they can tolerate pH from 6-8, 6-7, basically a whole range of things. If they are in a store with higher pH water, do you think they could do ok? A lot of the fish that I've found that are ok with higher pH won't do as well with the tetras, as they tend to be cichlids.

6. Celestialpearl

CelestialpearlValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +115
    That is difficult for me to answer as it is out of my realm of experience.

I know tetras in general like soft acidic water because it’s their source of water in nature.

That’s not to say tetras cannot tolerate alkaline water.

I think it really goes back to the source of the fish in this case. Not so much the store. As mentioned prior if they were bred rather than wild caught the chances of survival are higher because they are better acclimated to different water conditions. If those conditions in which the fish were raised are similar to both the store and your water than chances of survival and longevity are higher.

Now if they have been raised in conditions that were much more acidic or neutral and they are put in a store with basic water it can be a toss up. They may be able to adapt if they have been at the store for quite some time assuming the store keeps tanks clean and free of disease. The cHances of them doing well in your water are more promising because they have gone through an adjustment period.

If they just arrived to the store from the prior scenario then it is really a toss up, they would have to adapt. Nobody knows how well they would do.

Unfortunately I’m not the best person to attempt to answer this question because I have not attempted to raise/keep cats in basic water such as yours. I can only speculate.

7. OP
    OP
    Accents

Ratings:
    +186
    Experience:
    1 year
    Oh ok! I'll just ask the store, not only would I hate to lose fish because they didn't acclimate well, but also I'd hate to shell out $50 on a bunch of cool fish that die overnight. Would adding pH softeners like IAL, peat moss, etc make the pH too unstable as I added and replaced them/taking out the water and replacing it with harder water?