How Much Do You Feed Your Fishes?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Vancouver Mike, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Vancouver Mike

Vancouver MikeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +81
    Experience:
    Just started
    I feed twice a day 6 days a week.
    Staple is flake and dried bloodworm mix Satureday is fasting day.
    I also feed them blood worms,brine,mysis.
    Recently started giving grean beans from the can! My pleco likes it best
    Sunday I feed them a pea mush that helps keep them regular, which I've found to be helpful after having fish fall ill to swim bladder.
    Just Google "feed my fish peas" and you'll see the recipe which only takes a few mins to make and is a healthy mush your fish enjoy.

I'm still fairly new to the hobby so I'd like to hear your thoughts on feeding ie; how many times, how much, what your staple food is.
    My tank is a 65G with 28 fish

2. Joshuaharestad

JoshuaharestadValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +86
    Experience:
    1 year
    I have a goldfish tank and a bichir tank. Sounds like you're mixing up food types which is good for variety. I feed once in the morning and once at night. I don't do a fasting day. But I also only feed a few pinches per feeding. Ive heard some fish get more mean when hungry so I try to make sure they always at least get a few bites. Most importantly make sure all the fish are actually getting food. When my fish stop eating then I know something is wrong. Hope that helps some.

3. OP
    OP
    Vancouver Mike

Ratings:
    +81
    Experience:
    Just started
    I feel the same way about fish getting mean/cranky when not getting plenty to eat, but I have a community tank and some of my fish can get nippy so o feel like this is one way to help minimize it.
    I do weekly water change, which could prob be punched to every 2 weeks if I only fed once a day perhaps?
    Anyhow thanks for your input

4. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +7,270
    Experience:
    Just started
    Once or twice a day. In my community tank, I feed enough so that all the fish get their share, and whatever lands on the bottom, my pleco cleans up.

5. PirateKingJoe

PirateKingJoeNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    I feed when I wake up and when I go to bed

6. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +496
    Experience:
    Just started
    When the lights on and the lights off

7. GlennO

GlennOValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +219
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Twice per day. Flakes and pellets in the morning and frozen or freeze dried food in the evening which I alternate with a homemade mix (blended prawns, squid, fish, peas & spinach). My BN & Otos get an occasional piece of blanched cucumber or zucchini.

8. Noroomforshoe

NoroomforshoeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +140
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I feed them once a day.
    Though somtimes toss in vegies or fruit for the pleco and loaches. They love green beans! A single slice of carrot from a can will be gone in seconds, Peas, cantalope, cucumber, kale. some of them need to be spiked on a spoon so I try to take it out after a few hours ,

9. imba

imbaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +872
    I used to feed once everyday, then when I was travelling recently, my wife fed my fishes once every 4 days, after two weeks after I got back, the tank was in tip top condition and the fishes havent seems to suffer for abit.

Now, I'm trying a new regime. Feeding once every 2 days, with no negative consequences.

10. Btull3911

Btull3911Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +20
    I feed once a day and 2 fasting days a week. Over feeding does not agree with my tank.

11. jinjerJOSH22

jinjerJOSH22Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +114
    Experience:
    1 year
    I feed once a day six days a week. For most my tanks it's a mix of flake and pellets and two of my tanks get flake, pellets and prawns.

I love feeding my Blue Acara prawn by hand, they come up to the corner and peck at my hand. Tried it with my Delhezi once, but he suddenly snapped at it it scared me which in turn scared him and i've never been able to get him to do it again.

12. OP
    OP
    Vancouver Mike

Ratings:
    +81
    Experience:
    Just started
    I like it...I may follow your lead with this when I get tired of doing a wc and vacuum every 5-7 days. With 5 tanks that's a fair amount of maintenance.

13. jinjerJOSH22

jinjerJOSH22Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +114
    Experience:
    1 year
    I like the sound of that but my Acara tank is in my bedroom and when they're hungry they come to the corner and stare at me.

14. Lauryn

LaurynNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    Experience:
    Just started
    I’m fairly new to the hobby, 1 feed once a day 6 days a week a mix of flakes, pellets; Saturday is fasting day, and one day a week they get mashed peas. In regards to quantity the flakes I bought came with a miniature scoop so I use this to measure 1 scoop of flakes and half a scoop of pellets (approx. 6). It seems to take them a minute before they realise I’ve added food then it’s gone within seconds. I feel like I am under feeding but heard its better to under feed than over feed

15. phishRfriends

phishRfriendsValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +108
    Experience:
    Just started
    Once a day, each day in the community tank, and the betta (separate tank) gets fed once a day for 6 days then a fast day.

We are gradually building up a collection of different foods, so there is plenty of variety for them.