How Much Do You Feed Your Bettas?

RobinWhiskers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm not really looking for advice, I'm just curious how much others feed their Bettas in terms of pellets. I have a female Betta who genetically has SBD troubles, and she's actually better on (soaked) pellets than frozen food most of the time. Anyway she doesn't display any SBD symptoms unless she gets a water change (weird, I know) so now she can eat like a normal Betta. I've been giving her 3 pellets in the morning at 8-9ish and 2 pellets anywhere from 7-9. I soak them for five minutes.

How many pellets do your Bettas thrive on? I guess it also depends the brand, I know Omega One is better than most brands but my girl seems more active, colorful, and generally healthier on Aqueon.

qchris87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I do 2-3 pellets twice a day. Haven't had bloating problems with any of my bettas. I've recently switched to Bug Bites and the pellets are smaller so I'm still trying to see how much is enough for them.

CraniumRex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I feed my boys the same. I just watch body condition as some are more active than others and up or down their food as required.

I do rotate their food - Omega, Aqueon, North Fin, and funny, like @qchris87 I started with Bug Bites and they really like them.

I do fast them once a week and feed deshelled pea on occasion.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My bettas get pellets, krill, Bloodworms, and brineshrimp.
They have a staple of pellets, and I usually stick to feeding them about 2 - 3 pellets once a day.

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
RobinWhiskers said:
I'm not really looking for advice, I'm just curious how much others feed their Bettas in terms of pellets. I have a female Betta who genetically has SBD troubles, and she's actually better on (soaked) pellets than frozen food most of the time. Anyway she doesn't display any SBD symptoms unless she gets a water change (weird, I know) so now she can eat like a normal Betta. I've been giving her 3 pellets in the morning at 8-9ish and 2 pellets anywhere from 7-9. I soak them for five minutes.

How many pellets do your Bettas thrive on? I guess it also depends the brand, I know Omega One is better than most brands but my girl seems more active, colorful, and generally healthier on Aqueon.
For feeding it honestly depends on the betta's size. A betta that's smaller will only need 2 pellets (soaked ) before giving and a larger betta might need one or two more. Do keep in mind, pellets expand in water so soaking them before giving them is a good way to avoid bloat. A betta's stomach naturally expands a little with food it it. It should be only a small expansion and not very large or noticible.

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
psalm18.2 said:
I feed 2-3 pellets a day.
Yeah but pellets expand in water and depending on bettas size, you could potentially unintentionally over feeding . That's why soaking then feeding is better because you know how much you actually are giving fish

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
Mike1995 said:
for some odd reason my betta doesn't like pellets
Bettas can be notoriously picky, maybe he doesn't like pellets in general or he doesn't like the kind/brand your giving to him. I feed my betta a mix of pellets/flakes and she's fine with them. Try experimenting with different brands if you want and maybe you will find your answer

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BettaNation said:
Omega One brand foods are generally one of the best to be given in my opinion
Yes, but there is also NorthFin, NewLifeSpectrum, or Hikari

Mike1995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
BettaNation said:
Bettas can be notoriously picky, maybe he doesn't like pellets in general or he doesn't like the kind/brand your giving to him. I feed my betta a mix of pellets/flakes and she's fine with them. Try experimenting with different brands if you want and maybe you will find your answer
I've tried a few pellet brands so far. New life spectrum, aqueon, tetra, omega one and hikari. So far he just spits them all out. I was even surprised he didn't like the new life spectrum ones. They're super tiny and appear perfect for him.. But oh well. He does eat flakes of a few different brands, blood worms, tiny pieces of shrimp etc. Are these okay?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom