How Much Do Saltwater Nanos Cost? Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Setup' started by bobbyta74, Jun 16, 2019.

1. bobbyta74

bobbyta74Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    4 years
    I’m not even interested in owning one (that’s what I tell myself - MTS is real), but how much does a budget saltwater nano (15 - 20 gallons, because that seems popular) cost for setup and monthly running?

2. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,152
    Experience:
    5 years
    Depends on if you want corals or not, if you do want some that'll set you back $200-300 just for a good quality light
    I would say ~$500-700 in setup depending on corals

3. Fisker

FiskerValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +253
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Let's say you do a 20 long, and you don't take advantage of sales, and you have a relatively high amount of maintenance due to a decent stock.

Tank - $40
    Aquaclear 70 - $50
    Koralia Nano 425 - $29
    20 lbs of live rock at $3 per lb - $60
    20 lbs of aragonite - $20
    160 gallons worth of IORC salt - $55
    RODI filter - $150 (price varies WIDELY depending on the unit you choose to suit your needs)
    Black Box LED lighting - $150 (again, this depends on the specific light you choose. $150 is a fairly common price point for the mid-size black boxes, though)

That doesn't include livestock, but should give you an idea. These tanks are pretty expensive, but aren't as expensive as a lot of people say. Admittedly, even just a couple of 10 gallon saltwater tanks leach a large majority of my "fun money" (whatever is left after bills and savings), but I get a lot enjoyment from them, so it's worth it for me.

4. nikm128

Ratings:
    +3,152
    Experience:
    5 years
    Just curious, where are you getting $3 a pound for live rock? I've never seen it cheaper than $7 a pound

5. Fisker

FiskerValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +253
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Local hobbyists, mainly. No stores near me actually sell live rock - it's either the Real Reef Rock (which I suppose is live, but I've got my doubts about it) or dead rock. I've always either bought dead rock or bought from hobbyists, and I mentioned it in my head but forgot to type it out lol.

Basically, I'd buy dead rock, cycle it, and add your own pod population and such later down the road. Less chance of pests that way. But, if you're buying live, do your best to buy from a hobbyist. You'll usually save quite a bit that way.

6. nikm128

Ratings:
    +3,152
    Experience:
    5 years
    Ah ok. That's a pretty cost effective option seeing as it would only be $60 compared to at least $140 to buy it live from a store

7. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,084
    Experience:
    1 year
    For FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) 20 Long around $400 to get it ready for fish (that includes all accessory items in the cost). Did a video of the breakdown here:

Become a Fishlore Member