How much do I have to rinse sand?

DollyDolly

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ive rinsed 30 pounds of black diamond sand for 30 minutes. The cloudiness is a bit better and there and no more floating sand pieces. I feel like doing more will make no difference. Should I rinse it more and can I put I in my aquarium

Myyyman

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If you've got fish in there you'll need to wash it until you can see the sand particles when the container you're washing it in is full of water. If not then you don't have to clean it as much. Thing is, your filter will get rid of the cloudiness in a day or so, but it's not ideal to have fish in your tank at the same time.

OP
DollyDolly

DollyDolly

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Myyyman said:
If you've got fish in there you'll need to wash it until you can see the sand particles when the container you're washing it in is full of water. If not then you don't have to clean it as much. Thing is, your filter will get rid of the cloudiness in a day or so, but it's not ideal to have fish in your tank at the same time.
Its a brand new tank. Just starting the hard scape

Myyyman

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
In that case, you can let the filter do most of the work. Just remember to clean your filter once the muck is gone.

OP
DollyDolly

DollyDolly

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Myyyman said:
In that case, you can let the filter do most of the work. Just remember to clean your filter once the muck is gone.
Ok thanks

clark12

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm not sure if you put your sand in yet but I read on this forum somewhere about using a pillow case to wash your substrate. I just washed 4 bags of Seachem Flourite Black in a pillow case 1 bag at a time and in only took 5 minutes per bag. Before I bought Flourite I read about how bad it clouded tanks even after washing so many times. Mine was super clear upon filling my tank. When I bought it there was a lot of dust and during the wash it was super dirty. Pillow case worked wonders

New Threads