How much cycled media to jump start a new tank? Question 

Ambie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm moving my guppies from a cycled Aqueon 5g minibow to a Marineland portrait 5g to have more space for media. I used a Aquaclear 30 foam insert & a few ceramic rings instead of the manufacturers filter cartridge. So is the cycled media i have enough to safely move my fish to a new tank?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ambie said:
I'm moving my guppies from a cycled Aqueon 5g minibow to a Marineland portrait 5g to have more space for media. I used a Aquaclear 30 foam insert & a few ceramic rings instead of the manufacturers filter cartridge. So is the cycled media i have enough to safely move my fish to a new tank?
It should be. As long as you don't add more fish there should be enough bacteria to handle the bio-load. If at all possible you may want to move some substrate and/or decor over too. The bacteria grows on everything in the tank so the more you can move over the better it will be.

If you just move the media you may experience a mini-cycle since you will be leaving some bacteria in the tank you are moving them from. If you plan on running both tanks you will want to leave some of the deco and a filter on the original tank though.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ambie said:
The old tank is going to be a bare quarantine tank. I'm moving everything but 2 fake plants that are being switched to live ones. I'm was planning on adding a few red cherry shrimps to the new tank, How long should i wait before getting the shrimps?
I've never had shrimp but from all I've read they prefer a tank with a little age on it so you may want to wait a while before adding them. Keep in mind though, I've never had them so maybe someone else can give you some pointers.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Your much better off waiting at least 3-4 months before adding shrimp. They will do much better in a more established tank. My next project will be a shrimp colony. I've not had the best luck with RCS but did have 6 Amanos that lived for over 2 years in my 55. But i want some Shrimp tanks like @richie.p :)

Ambie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I may go over to the invertebrates forum and ask them.
kallililly1973 said:
Your much better off waiting at least 3-4 months before adding shrimp. They will do much better in a more established tank. My next project will be a shrimp colony. I've not had the best luck with RCS but did have 6 Amanos that lived for over 2 years in my 55. But i want some Shrimp tanks like @richie.p :)
That's what i assumed. I've been waiting the last 2 1/2 months with my current tank for it get more established to add shrimps, but recently decided i wanted more space for media / More modern looking tank. So i guess my wait begins again.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ambie said:
I may go over to the invertebrates forum and ask them.

That's what i assumed. I've been waiting the last 2 1/2 months with my current tank for it get more established to add shrimps, but recently decided i wanted more space for media / More modern looking tank. So i guess my wait begins again.
The wait is the hardest part but the rewards of having a successful tank is a big accomplishment and what we all strive for.

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know this may be a dumb question....I have never done a fishless cycle. You have a brand new tank and filter that has never had fish in it. Where does the bacteria come from that the ammonia is feeding? No one has ever said that, just the ammonia feeds it to colonize. I just think this every time I see a cycling post.

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
StarGirl15 said:
I know this may be a dumb question....I have never done a fishless cycle. You have a brand new tank and filter that has never had fish in it. Where does the bacteria come from that the ammonia is feeding? No one has ever said that, just the ammonia feeds it to colonize. I just think this every time I see a cycling post.
She will be moving filter media from an established tank so it will contain the bacteria.
I have done a fishless cycle with Tetra safe start bottled bacteria and Dr. Tim’s ammonia.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
StarGirl15 said:
You have to add an Ammonia source weather its established media, fish food, Bottled bacteria ( TSS Dr. Tims etc....) or pure unscented Ammonia.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
StarGirl15 said:
Bacteria lives on everything we interact with on a daily basis. It is also in the air and water. It is just a matter of a tiny bit getting in the tank and then feeding it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom