How Much Crushed Coral?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by RHONDA PIMENTEL, Mar 31, 2019.

1. RHONDA PIMENTELValued MemberMember

Hello all, I'm in need of your expertise once again. I want to know how much crushed coral to add to a 20,30 and 2 10 gal aquarium filters to bring my pH up from 6.6 to 7.0 ty all for any input! Rhonda. They are all freshwater and no fish in yet. Just snails. Ty.

2. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

I wouldnt worry about it. Its more trouble to try and raise/keep your PH at a certain point than it is to have it a little lower than desired. 6.6 to 7 isnt a huge difference either.

3. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Just put a small hand full of it in a media bag. Keep an eye on the PH level. If it goes too high remove some of it. If it isn't stabilizing as high as you want it add more. The thing about using crushed coral chunks is it changes the PH very slowly so you need to give it time to work. I would give it at least a week to see any kind of change.

If I were you I would experiment with one tank at a time. Once you determine how much it takes to get where you need to be you can easily add the right amount to the other tanks.

I have very soft water so I use both crushed coral and seashells in my tanks to stabilize my PH at 7.2 Both of them dissolve very slowly and add hardness to my water.

Please make sure you use actual crushed coral chunks. There is a product out there called aragonite that claims to be crushed coral and it may well be but it is crushed as small as grains of sand. It will shoot your PH up fast and too much if you use more than just a tiny amount of it. Actual crushed coral chunks will change the level very slowly so you can prevent a high spike easily by removing some if necessary.

4. RHONDA PIMENTELValued MemberMember

Ty so much. That is exactly the info I needed! I extensively read up on differences with aragonite and cc and the calcite equation and ion calculation. Great idea about one tank as a test tank. (Banging hand on head) duh! And I want a slow gradual raise and minimal hardness raise. Ty you have been giving me great advice. Thanks again.

By the way, wanted to let you know I started a quest against the dreadful detritus worms this weekend. And am glad to report, I did an 80% water change and huge gravel vac and dipped my plants in conditioned h2o. And filter rinse. And things look better. I'll just keep on it gradually every week and little by little flush most of em out. Without losing my cycle!

I'm def not giving up as I felt I was going to have to. Just rolled up my sleeves and got to work. All the tanks and parameters looking good, right now. And sparkling bright! I'm getting some amanos and other creatures I ordered this weds. Hopefully that will help naturally also as food!

I m
    I meant natural set of predators might appreciate some free food.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2019
  5. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

If all you had in each of these tanks is a snail you won't have a very big colony of bacteria so be sure to keep a close eye on the perimeters once you put your new water pets in there.

Right now there is just enough bacteria in there to process a snails bio-load if you've not been adding extra ammonia but it should increase within a day or two to handle the bigger bio-load from the additional inhabitants.

6. RHONDA PIMENTELValued MemberMember

Yes. Your right. I've been using ammonia chloride and stability as needed. So far nitrates are excellent. As high as 20, before my last water change. So ty. I'm keeping eye on it. And I'm very very patient when it comes to bioload. Tanks been up since sept,2018. And just snails so far.lol. but yes, I understand. Ty