How Much Crushed Coral To Raise Ph To 7?

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by wem21, Jun 2, 2019.

1. wem21

wem21Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +238
    Experience:
    5 years
    Hi guys,
    Tank is an 8 gallon with about an inch of substrate, ph in the tank is 6 (buffered by my substrate) but I want it to get to 7 to match my tap water, how much crushed coral would I need? Also, I have a gh and kh of 2. How would I raise this to make it suitable for neo shrimp?
    Cheers

2. Cale24

Cale24Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +128
    Experience:
    5 years
    In my experience it takes quite a long time for crushed coral to raise KH/ PH. You can't have too much per se as it will dissolve until the PH reaches 7, and then stop (it is therefore useless if the PH is above 7). I use an adult handful's worth in a 40 gallon tank. A quicker option would be to use baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) or buy dedicated products like Seachem alkaline buffer, which works well, for the KH. I use Seachem Equilibrium to raise GH, also a good product.
    Be sure to raise it steadily (no more than 1 degree hardness per day). I started raising it a bit with every water change until I got the levels I was after.

3. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,485
    Experience:
    2 years
    whats the GH/KH of your tap?

since your tank is only 8 gallons, you could have a bucket of tap water with a few handfuls of crushed coral in it during the week to leach out the carbonate so that when its time for water change it'll be ready.

4. OP
    OP
    wem21

Ratings:
    +238
    Experience:
    5 years
    Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town for most of the week. Tap GH KH is 2 and 2. Honestly I think the better option here would be to remineralize RODI water, as I want to keep shrimp in that tank. Is this a good idea, or should I stay with using other products to get the ph, kh and gh up? The only problem with RODI is that it is quite expensive and I don't think I can afford it right now

5. Cale24

Ratings:
    +128
    Experience:
    5 years
    No problem. RODI setup will always be ideal but as you say, expensive. So, the suggested options would be best. My tap water is even softer - KH 1 and GH 2/3 - and I use Seachem Equilibrium to bring up GH and only coral for the KH at present. I do water changes frequently enough that the low KH doesn’t become a problem and so PH is stable (mine is 6.5). Were I to do it, my next means of raising KH would be baking soda to save money or Seachem Alkaline buffer.

6. OP
    OP
    wem21

Ratings:
    +238
    Experience:
    5 years
    I don't think I understand, are you saying that no matter how much crushed coral I add, the pH will stay at 7?

What if I didn't buffer my tank at all, and every time I did a water change I only do a small amount (10-15%) and let the water in over an hour or two as it will only make the pH go up by 0.1, will this be ok for crystal red shrimp?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  7. Cale24

Ratings:
    +128
    Experience:
    5 years
    No it will only dissolve below a PH of 7. So if your PH is higher than that already then you would need to use baking soda or Equilibrium to raise KH (and therefore PH as well as the two work together so to speak).

8. OP
    OP
    wem21

Ratings:
    +238
    Experience:
    5 years
    AHH ok I see, thanks!

So adding crushed coral would be my best option to keep pH stable? What shrimp could I keep with a pH of 7?

9. Cale24

Ratings:
    +128
    Experience:
    5 years
    Well yeah you could try any of the suggested means. I just know crushed coral takes a while to have impact. If you keep your nitrates low (ie. regular water changes) then the low KH will not be an issue. On an 8 gallon a 50% w/c is pretty quick and easy to do after all, or if you can more regular smaller water changes (say 20% every 3 days).
    Others would be best to advise on the shrimp - I just keep fish. Good luck!

Become a Fishlore Member