How much can I overstock a 55-60gal Tank

Discussion in 'African Cichlids' started by Daemonx101, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Daemonx101New MemberMember

Hi, I'm going to be buying a around a 55-60gal tank for my cichlids,
    I have a Hongi, Red Zebra, Kenyi, Ngara White Tail, and a yellow lab right now. They're all still about 2-3 inches.
    I've heard overstocking in a larger tank can curb agression.
    I'm wondering how many more fish I could add to the tank I'm going to buy. I'm contemplating adding in more yellow labs. Could anyone suggest more peaceful/not very agressive mbuna cichlids. I understand that I'd likely have to take out the kenyi and hongi.

Thanks!

2. Crazy Crays24Valued MemberMember

Well, I don't have any cichlids, but you should research the black convict cichlid. That is the cichlid that I would get if I ever got a cichlid tank

3. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

I wouldn't put any strain of Convict with those fish. The Con would be too aggressive for them IMO.

Peacefull Mbuna can be hard to come by. Perhaps Powder Blue Mbuna (Pseudotropheus Socolofi) would be ok. They have a rep for being aggressive but I have actually found them to be very peacefull on the two different occasions I have had them.
    Obliquidens Zebra (Haplochromis Obliquidens) would probably be ok. Blue Mbuna (Labeotropheus Fuelleborni) or some of the smaller Peackocks (Aulonocara 'sp') would work. Deep-Water Hap (Placidochromis Electra) would work. It's been reclassified some time ago so that latin name is well out of date. I think they are Haplochromis Electra now but not sure.

4. OP
    OP
    D

Daemonx101New MemberMember

Thanks for the tips, on the fish-lol, yes I'm aware that peaceful mbuna are hard to come across

how many fish could I potentially stock in a 55-60gal to curb the agression?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice