How Much Can I Fit Into A 10 Gallon?

Hugooo

Reaction score
Hello Community,

Right now I have 2 neon tuxedo guppies, 1 red wag platy, 1 ghost shrimp, 1 black molly, and 2 tiger barbs in a 10-gallon tank. Can I add 2-3 more tiger barbs to the tank to reduce their aggression towards the shrimp and other fish?

Thank you so much.
~ If there are any other problems you found, please inform me of them! ~

Heron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would suggest that you are already as heavily stocked as you should be. The rule for stocking is that the very MOST you should have is one inch per gallon. You should always use the adult length of the fish not the current length of juveniles and don't include the tails. Tanks that are heavily stocked have more water quality problems than ones which are under stocked so I would recommend not trying to go for the full 10 inches of fish.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
2 guppies 1 platy and 1 molly is already overstocked. The tiger barbs need to be in a large school or they will most likely shred all of your other fish. You should upgrade to a 20 long just for the community fish and put the tiger barbs in a species only tank or they will become more of the carnivores they already are and harass and bully all your fish till they become lunch.
Edit: The inch per gallon rule is completely outdated and shouldn't even be a part of the Aquarium hobby. No idea where it even came from to begin with. but am completely against that fish stocking assumption.

FluffyRedFox

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd remove the Platy, Molly and Tiger Barbs, the later 2 outgrow your tank anyway. Have a group of about 5 Guppies instead and that'd be about it for a 10g.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom