How much bioload from MTS?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by brodylane1122, Dec 26, 2012.

1. brodylane1122

brodylane1122 Well Known Member Member

So, I just got 6 MTS for my 20 gallon tank. The tank currently has around 35 cherry shrimp (more babies coming soon), but I only plan on keeping 50-75 cherry shrimp in it, and will sell off the excess. My tank also has 5 amano shrimp, 10 neon tetras, and a nerite snail. Filtration is listed on profile. So here would be the stock at it's greatest.

10 neon tetras
    50-75 Cherry Shrimp
    5 amano shrimp
    Nerite Snail

And now with the 6 adult MTS I've noticed I have at least 10 baby MTS already in just a week (and I don't overfeed).
    My question is, with my current stock, how many MTS is too many MTS? How much bioload do they create? The reason I ask, is because I will probably sell off the excess of these too. Also, a lot of them will get siphoned out with detritus on the bottom of my barebottom tank.

2. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

MTS have a bioload of a shrimp, even less than that in my opinion, so really its not how many is to many but more of how many is to many for you... I have a sanded tank and over 500 MTS in there (29g) and i only see them all at once maybe twice weekly and those are the days I feed algae wafers and frozen plankton... as for over feeding I have found that when starving an MTS will often est its own poop or the poop of other fish/inverts. Very resourceful lol.

3. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I asked the same question shortly after getting my MTS, and the answer was pretty much "inconsequential." I wouldn't worry about it. :) If you don't overfeed, they'll monitor their population size. After moving my MTS to a different tank, I've only rarely fed them purposely (IE tossed in an algae wafer or earthworm pellet) and they're still doing fine.

4. OP
    OP
    brodylane1122

Ok, thanks. I only feed my shrimp every other day (sometimes every other 2 days) with about 1/3 to 1/4 algae wafer and 1-1/2 pellet for over 40 shrimp. That's right around 1 algae wafer and 4 pellets a week. Occasionally a small pellet will fall through from my neons that get's eaten up quickly. And I also vacuum about 90% of the detritus from the tank 2x per week, so I can't imagine the population exploding to the kazillions!

5. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

They don't have much of a bioload until there are 20,000 of them in your tank. Then it can be a lot.

6. OP
    OP
    brodylane1122

Well, I'll sell, siphon, or assassin snail them before I ever let their numbers get to 20,000

7. ZeeZ

ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

They're extremely tough snails. I've had tanks that were broken down for more than 6 months with the sand completely dry then set them up again.

Lo and behold - MTS were back!

8. OP
    OP
    brodylane1122

Yeah, I want them in the tank. I'm just planning ahead for if I get too many. How many do you all have and in what size of tanks?

9. C

I've got a couple big ones. Most of them are small though.

10. OP
    OP
    brodylane1122

Nice pics! And how big are those tanks? Do you even try to keep the numbers down, or do you just let them go cichlidnut?

11. C

The pictures are from one of my 55 gallon tanks. When they pile up on food like that, I'll take a few handfuls out. Usually put them in my 125.

12. ILikeFishies

ILikeFishies Valued Member Member

WOW!. cichlidnut. Are those all MTS in that picture? because thats aloooott lol

13. C

All the snails are MTS :)

14. cichlidman

cichlidman Well Known Member Member

same thing happened to me :p

15. OP
    OP
    brodylane1122

Well fortunately, I may have some people interested in buying some of mine locally , which will help with the numbers!

16. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

As far as their bio-load, as long as its not thousands of them I always considered them to make up for their impact on bio-load by eating detritus and poop that would be producing waste if left.

17. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I currently have about 300 in my Betta tank. I'd say most are still very little babies ( under 4 months old )
    I test my betta tank every week ( that's all thats in there is the MTS and Betta and 1 assassin ) and my water parameters are 0/0/5
    Based on that, I believe they have very minimal bioload.
    I usually do about a 25% change once a week, and a 50% water change once a month.
    My tank is a fluval edge 6.6 gallons

18. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

I can confirm that MTS are a very tough little snail which will survive a lot. In June or July I had a major pH crash which killed off all my pond snails, but the MTS survived. My favorite snails.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice