How much bb in gravel?

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi everyone. So im about to do my tank upgrade when i get.home...going from 135 litres to 180. I keep reading and reading and im now making myself nervous. I am not using my old gravel i am changing to sand because my goldfish keep getting the gravel stuck in their mouths...and im using new decor. I have three internal.filters, im using one, but then putting the filter media from my other two into my new external filter. Some people say this will.cause q spike because the gravel and deco have bb while others say its not issue because the bb is all in the media . Obviously i plan on testing my water every day for the first week or.so to be on the safe side and I have a bottle of prime ready! But is the new sand and Deco really going to cause much of a problem? Thanks!

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It sounds like you will be Ok testing and ready for water changes. I would use the prime for more than a few days though. Most people only use it as their only dechlor in case something wonky happens during a water change.

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
StarGirl said:
It sounds like you will be Ok testing and ready for water changes. I would use the prime for more than a few days though. Most people only use it as their only dechlor in case something wonky happens during a water change.
Ill use it for a few days while testing and if the tests stay ok.will stop, or carry on if need be. Thank you

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DoubleDutch said:
Don't clean the media from the old filters before putting them in the new one.
Nah wasn't going to! Should i set the new filter up running before putting the old.media.in? Just to prevent it drying out the new one is an external canister

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
Will you have room in your canister to put a media bag full of the gravel? When I switched from gravel to sand I experienced a bacterial bloom for a few days. Not a full on mini-cycle though as I never registered any ammonia. As long as you use all of the media in your filters you should be fine.
Not really, as its going to have all my old plus all the new media :( i can put some gravel in a tight in the tank? But im.guessing as long as i dose daily with prime and keep an.eye on things my fish will be safe?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sarah1230ox said:
Not really, as its going to have all my old plus all the new media :( i can put some gravel in a tight in the tank? But im.guessing as long as i dose daily with prime and keep an.eye on things my fish will be safe?
I would put it in before you start the canister as it would be a pain to do it after.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Sarah1230ox said:
You could do that or even put some of it in a shallow dish. Either way it will be easy to remove once you are sure the new tank is settled in. Bacteria does grow on all the surfaces in our tanks. You are going to lose some during the move but I really don't think it is going to be enough lost to cause a problem. Bacteria grows fast so it shouldn't take long for what was lost to be replaced.

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
StarGirl said:
I would put it in before you start the canister as it would be a pain to do it after.
Okay! Will it not be an issue that itll be out of water while i mess around setting it up?

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
You could do that or even put some of it in a shallow dish. Either way it will be easy to remove once you are sure the new tank is settled in. Bacteria does grow on all the surfaces in our tanks. You are going to lose some during the move but I really don't think it is going to be enough lost to cause a problem. Bacteria grows fast so it shouldn't take long for what was lost to be replaced.
Okay thank you! Id probably do the tights just because the only reason thw gravel is.going is because the silly goldfish keep getting it stuck in.their mouths!!

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sarah1230ox said:
Okay! Will it not be an issue that itll be out of water while i mess around setting it up?
You could just leave it in the old filter until you place it in the canister. That way it will be safe.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sarah1230ox said:
Okay thank you! Id probably do the tights just because the only reason thw gravel is.going is because the silly goldfish keep getting it stuck in.their mouths!!
Gotcha. I had forgotten the main reason you were changing from gravel to sand when I suggested the shallow dish. The most important thing to keep in mind while making the move is keeping everything wet. I am no scientist but it stands to reason to me that bacteria will die off if allowed to dry out.

AvalancheDave

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Glo bacteria would be nice so you could see where they're growing and how well.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AvalancheDave said:
Glo bacteria would be nice so you could see where they're growing and how well.
But only in blacklight :confused:.......It would be super weird seeing bright orange or pink blobs all around the tank...lol

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Im half way filling the new one fish still in old with filters going....the water is 2 degree cooler? Is that an issue

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
When you add the water that is in the other tank the temp should equal out so I wouldn't be overly concerned about that slight difference.
Even with putting the fish straight over?

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Its all done thank god..took 6 hours! Only issue is we couldn't get my new filter to prime and I was worried that the bacteria would die so used all three old.filters going to change them for better internal.ones!

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sarah1230ox said:
Even with putting the fish straight over?
I am kinda late at answering this one since the job is done. But yes, that slight difference shouldn't have caused a problem.

It was water change day for me. I changed out an average of 50% in most of my tanks. That includes a 3 gallon. a 5.5 gallon. a 10 gallon and the 55. That was a lot of buckets of water.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looking great Sarah. If one of your fish starts complaining, it's a brad that you should rehome.

Keep checking ammonia and nitrites.
If the filters do their job correct there won't be a spike. It is too early to safely say that is what happening.

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DoubleDutch said:
Looking great Sarah. If one of your fish starts complaining, it's a brad that you should rehome.

Keep checking ammonia and nitrites.
If the filters do their job correct there won't be a spike. It is too early to safely say that is what happening.
Ive had a nitrie spike! :( am i ok to dose with prime for a day or two? They went thriugh so much yesterday i dont wanna do a change today

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sarah1230ox said:
Ive had a nitrie spike! :( am i ok to dose with prime for a day or two? They went thriugh so much yesterday i dont wanna do a change today
When exaxtly was that ? And no ammonian detected ? Weird to me.
I'd let it depend on how high the spike was.
Waterchanges in fact aren't bad for fish.

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DoubleDutch said:
When exaxtly was that ? And no ammonian detected ? Weird to me.
I'd let it depend on how high the spike was.
Waterchanges in fact aren't bad for fish.
Now. Ive just tested. Its not majour maybe 0.2? No ammonia no! I know water Changes arent bad but after yesterday i was planning on leaving it a day or two haha. So thats why i wonder if prime will be ok? IMG_20200809_132324.jpg

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sarah1230ox said:
Well prime detoxifys ammonia and nitrite? But if i have to do a change then i will?
What we not exactly know Sarah is if this is the actual spike or the start of the spike.
So I guess you can use Prime but keep checking and if things get worse do a waterchange I'd say.

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DoubleDutch said:
What we not exactly know Sarah is if this is the actual spike or the start of the spike.
So I guess you can use Prime but keep checking and if things get worse do a waterchange I'd say.
True, i was planning on checking the water daily for a week anyways so guess i will til it goes back to normal, does this mean some of my bb died or could it simply because the fact i never used any old gravel and decorations

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sarah1230ox said:
True, i was planning on checking the water daily for a week anyways so guess i will til it goes back to normal, does this mean some of my bb died or could it simply because the fact i never used any old gravel and decorations
I think it is quite weird cause you're using your "old" filters. If bacteria died I'd also expect ammonia. But those bacteria seem to cope so far. Anxious to see the next test

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DoubleDutch said:
I think it is quite weird cause you're using your "old" filters. If bacteria died I'd also expect ammonia. But those bacteria seem to cope so far. Anxious to see the next test
Hmm. Im going to dose with prime and test in a few hours then maybe do a water change

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DoubleDutch said:
I normally feed twice a day i guess once a day will have to do?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sarah1230ox said:
Hmm. Im going to dose with prime and test in a few hours then maybe do a water change
Keep a close eye and indeed act
Sarah1230ox said:
I normally feed twice a day i guess once a day will have to do?
That's indeed smart to cut feeding a bit temporarily.

New Threads