Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

How Much Are These Aquarium Setups Worth?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Katie13, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

Part 1: I'm selling my 37g Marineland Ensemble. It retails for $280 new and is 3 years old. It's got the light, hood, and everything. The filter on it is just a TopFin 40g off an older tank. It also has a 200w adjustable heater. It's got gravel in it . How much would you sell it for? I was going to ask $90

Part 2: I might sell my 36g Aqueon bowfront ensemble. It's got an AquaCulture 20-40 on it that I used to run on my 29g. It's also got an adjustable heater. It's just over a year old. Would $120 be fair or should it be less?

Part 3: How much should I ask for both together?

2. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

That depends. Where are you selling them?

I have sold used set ups on craigslist. The best bet is to look at the comparable tanks that are already listed. You will want to price based on what you see in the market.

Its funny to me when I see someone trying to sell a 55g set up for $250+ when there are 5 more listed for $100. You will not make a sale if your price doesn't compare to the others listed.

That is where I would start. I can tell you what to price it at based on what used tanks sell for here in Minnesota. But prices differ from state to state.

If it were me....here in MN...I would probably ask:

Part 1: You are underpricing at $90 I think. I would start at maybe $120. Then people will make offers less than that...and maybe they will offer $90-$100 which is what you wanted to ask anyway. You always want to price it a tad bit over what you really want to get for that reason. But not too high that people won't even inquire.

Part 2: I think $120 is a good place to start on this one as well. And you might walk away with $100

Again, I am going off of MN prices. You will want to see what other tanks similar to yours are listed at. I saw a 36 bow listed at $300 here recently and laughed so hard. On the same page you can get some HUGE set ups, with incredible extras for less than $300! And I believe you can get it brand new for less than $300.

It also depends on how fast you want to sell them....

3. Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

I've been trying to find tanks to compare for prices. I mean, 37g tanks are a lot less common. The only thing with that tank is that I did redo the silicone and it doesn't look the greatest. I want to get some 15-20g tanks to replace these.

4. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

If the 37 doesn't look the greatest and has been resealed...then I would just ask $50-$70 to be honest.

In your listing, mention that you would be open to trading for some smaller tanks.

5. Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

The silicone is what doesn't look the greatest. It was my first time ever resealing a tank.

6. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Right. And me personally, I wouldn't spend much at all on a resealed tank where the silicone doesn't look the greatest. I probably wouldn't buy it at all to be honest.

7. Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

This is how the silicone looks. Ignore the fact that I need to clean out the sand. FE300461-4A1E-413D-9898-B4A1FB010300.jpegC4F8AEC1-BE07-44EF-BC39-E9C7BF3C494C.jpeg

8. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

That's how it looked when I did it too. Its not an easy job. Especially when you have no experience doing it.

All I am saying is that when it comes to used tanks, it doesn't take much for the value to go down significantly.

If you want to sell the tanks FAST, you will have to price them very low.

Also, The cleaner the tank, the more you can ask AND the faster it will sell. Good photos are helpful as well.

9. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

I agree w/ Bizaliz3 that a cleaner tank and good pics sells something faster (and for a bit more $).

It'a best to predetermine what the least amount you will accept, and price it somewhat higher.

That way you can come down on the price.

May I suggest using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (or generic) to use to scrub everything down, even the heaters-filters-lights. Those things are great!

10. Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

It’s been getting a lot of interest at $90 the past couple days. We’ll see how it goes.