How Much Aquarium Ornamentation?

ryanneliza

Hello all, I am new to this forum and so I apologize if I'm on a slow leadning curve. I've had a 10 gallon aquarium for ten years or so, and I'm planning to upgrade to a 20 gallon until I (someday) can have space for a 29g. I've seen tank setups with minimal ornamentation/plants and tanks with heavy decoration. What are your opinions on this? I'm debating which direction to go in. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Adam55

HI Ryan. Welcome to FL.

It can sort of depend on your stock. Some fish like wide open spaces for swimming. Some are timid and like to have places to hide, especially if they are in a tank with more aggressive breeds (fish generally won't bother what they can't see). All things equal, I like a good amount of live plants and some wood / rocks, but not enough to overwhelm the view of the fish.

FishMaster2400

It's great to have live plants as it with ammonia, nitrates and nitrites and gives the tank a natural felling and look!

But as Adam55 mentioned |Not a lot to overwhelm the view of fish.|

Edbl79

What kind of fish do you plan on having and will you have real or fake plants?

ryanneliza

I will probabaly have a mix of live and fake plants. I will have more fake than live to start out with because I only have a juvenile apongeton in my existing tank, and I would like to get the tank cycling well before I add too much. I am a novice with live aquarium plants.

ryanneliza

And also, I have a blend of various tropical fish, from platies and guppies, to danios and cherry barbs. I also have one 2" rainbow shark who gets along well with community fish.

aliray

Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy it here.Alison

lobstahlights

I'm not personally familiar with the fish you're keeping, but I think your shark will outgrow even the 29 you hope to someday have.

I imagine you're overstocked regardless, so there's a balance to find between allowing the fish their own territory and allowing them to all have enough swimming space. Maybe build up in one corner, or line decorations across the back, so that they have options.

Kwig

Both. I like to line the backs with taller wood and plants. As the sides meet the front, decor and plants get shorter and fuller. Middle is typically open for swimming and viewing. All of my tanks have at least one open swimming area because I usually have a school of something that's active.

I also agree that it sounds like you're overstocked, and that the shark isn't suitable for even a 29 gallon. That being said, my ten gallon is one of my favorite tanks. It houses one nerite snail, probably 50 or 75 Red Cherry Shrimp, and two male guppies. It's very heavily planted, which is what I like the most about it. I'd move everyone up to the 20 gallon, remove the shark, and jump into live plants.

ryanneliza

Well, the fact that the shark has coexisted peacefully with various fish in a 10 gallon for the past three years tells me the system is working just fine. if anything, a bigger tank will allow me to more easily maintain the water and create better vegetation.

Kwig

ryanneliza said:
Well, the fact that the shark has coexisted peacefully with various fish in a 10 gallon for the past three years tells me the system is working just fine. if anything, a bigger tank will allow me to more easily maintain the water and create better vegetation.

He's been in a 10 gallon for 3 years? He's probably stunted at this point. I still think you should get a 29 gallon if you have space. I really do think you'd enjoy the extra space.

ryanneliza

Yes, I got her from a friend in high school who needed someone to find a good home for her fish. I had planned to find her a different home because I'm perfectly aware of what larger fish need after growing up with my dad having large red tail sharks, oscar cichlids, silver dollars, etc., but she ended up growing attached to a rock arch in my aquarium and she's never been much of a bully unless she's nipped at first. She's been doing great ever since and just hangs out in her corner, so I never saw a reason to get rid of her. I'm a full time college student, and I have a full ride to my local university if I live at home, so I really do not have space for anything bigger than 20 gallon right now. Hence the intermediate between a 10 and the 29. I've just always had the 10 gallon since I was a small child and was curious what some ideas would be for how to set up my new 20g.

Kwig

ryanneliza said:
Yes, I got her from a friend in high school who needed someone to find a good home for her fish. I had planned to find her a different home because I'm perfectly aware of what larger fish need after growing up with my dad having large red tail sharks, oscar cichlids, silver dollars, etc., but she ended up growing attached to a rock arch in my aquarium and she's never been much of a bully unless she's nipped at first. She's been doing great ever since and just hangs out in her corner, so I never saw a reason to get rid of her. I'm a full time college student, and I have a full ride to my local university if I live at home, so I really do not have space for anything bigger than 20 gallon right now. Hence the intermediate between a 10 and the 29. I've just always had the 10 gallon since I was a small child and was curious what some ideas would be for how to set up my new 20g.

For some reason I thought I read that you have over 30" of space to work with, which would fit a 29 gallon. My mistake.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom