How Much Ammonia?

1. Z

Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

How much ammonia will accumulate with 10 neon tetras, in 15 gallons of water, in 24 hours, if there is no cycle?

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

It depends on how long the ammonia is given to build up (without a water change) and how much the neon tetras are fed, but it will definitely get to dangerous levels within a week or two.

3. OP
    OP
    Z

Lets say they are fed twice a day (A small pinch every feeding) and daily water changes of 5 gallons are done, will that be dangerous for them?

4. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

That "should" be keeping the water parameters safe for them, but remember that farm bred neon tetras are really delicate fish and usually are not put into uncycled aquariums.

5. OP
    OP
    Z

I just wanted to quarantine them for 2 weeks doing daily water changes because I don't have an extra filter (I do have a heater and an airstone though), would that be ok?

6. M

Manjit Valued Member Member

do you have your main tank cycled...???

7. OP
    OP
    Z

It just cycled today

8. M

Manjit Valued Member Member

you can use that filter media in your quarantine tank....

9. OP
    OP
    Z

I know but to cycle the main tank it took 3 months, so I don't want to remove any of its media for now because I don't want to break the cycle...

10. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I would do daily 50% water changes and add a capful of Stability. With no real intention of cycling, but at least adding some good bacteria into the mix. It can't hurt at all. For about the billionth time. Add a sponge filter to your main tank. So you will have extra media to cycle your qt for the next batch.. I know I am a nag lol

You better not even think about touching your big tank media either. You need to leave it alone for at least a month. Preferably forever lol

11. OP
    OP
    Z

I will be adding a sponge filter to the main tank on my next visit to the pet store lol, how long does it take to seed though, because I want to have it ready for the next quarantine batch?

There is one problem with the main tank's media, you remember the place I told you the water was overflowing but slowly? Yeah, I just checked the filter and there is way more over flow from that part now...

Here is a picture if you don't remember, it is the place circled in red:

Attached Files:

12. AllieSten

You probably have buildup in there. If it isn't splashing out of the tank, I wouldn't touch it. If it's splashing water out of the tank, your next water change, plan to very gently rinse your media in old tank water. My guess it is clogged. You could take about a gallon of water out of your tank and rinse the media that way too. I am nervous for you to do it though. I would wait as long as you can.

It takes about 3-4 weeks to seed the media. So the sooner the better to get it in your tank.

13. OP
    OP
    Z

It is impossible for the water to splash out of the tank lol, there is a cover on the filter.

By the way my LFS said that they only carry the single sponge filters not double, but they said that they are rated for a 50 gallon tank, would that be ok?

Attached Files:

14. AllieSten

It is not impossible. I had a filter with a cover leak about 4 gallons of water onto my floor in the middle of the night. It can happen. Water can get out of any crack available.

I would get 2 of the sponges. Get a gang valve, which is a splitter, it will allow you to control the airflow and split the airline to power 2 sponges. That way you can stick one in each corner.