How much ammonia do you need for the tank to cycle? Question

1. J

Jackie Frost Valued Member Member

Or to be more precise, how much ammonia does there need to be in the tank before the beneficial bacteria can develop?

When I had my goldfish Molly, I kept the ammonia at 0.25 and the tank never did cycle. Now even with the addition of the Tetra Safe Start yesterday the ammonia level is at 1.0! Yesterday after the water change it was 0.50. So it rose that quickly with the addition of TSS! :;fru I'm not sure how often I should change the water now. Maybe I'm just being impatient and I should give the TSS a chance to work. But assuming that the TSS has failed, how much ammonia do you need for the tank to cycle?

2. agabr123

agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

with the TSS you can't do a water change when you add it and you need to add an entire bottle that's meant for the size of the tank that you had. since you did a water change already you should probably work under the assumption that it hasn't worked.

is this the tank in your aquarium info with the 3 platies? if the tank has fish in it already, then i'd suggest either getting a new bottle of TSS and starting completely over, add it in, don't do anything for 7-10 days (no water changes, no testing, etc) and then test at the end of that time to see if it's cycled (0ppm ammonia and nitrite, 5-20 nitrate) and THEN do a water change.

OR you can ditch the TSS and do daily 50% water changes with prime as a conditioner until the tank is cycled, which will take quite some time because there won't be a lot of ammonia in there to establish bacteria, but you need to keep the levels low for the safety of your fish :)

if you were cycling without fish in the tank, i'd say to get your ammonia levels around 4ppm, but since you have fish in the tank those levels would be very harmful to them.

3. OP
    OP
    J

Jackie Frost Valued Member Member

Oh no, you misunderstood me. I did the water change first and then added the TSS. I have a long and tedious relationship with this tank and the usage of TSS which I won't bore you with. (Yesterday was my 3rd TSS bottle.) 4pp huh? Oh ...I hope the TSS works this time. I'd hate to do that to my fish and snails.:-\

4. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

just leave it for the 7 days and dont test it...the readings will make you crazy....if you ph is 7 or more, it should do the job in 7 days...4ppm is the add ammonia method not for TSS ...

5. agabr123

agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

ah i see! :;smack well in that case then do what shawnie says, lol!

6. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Jackie, as long as your fish look okay, I definitely would not test the water. You're going to stress yourself out, and if you are anything like me, you'll freak out, change the water or add some prime, and mess the TSS up.