How much aggression is ok

briankolb243

I have 4 pearls 3 female one male and I am not sure how much aggression to expect from this species. I am newish to fish haven't delt with pearls before. I really love my pearls they are amazing just want to make sure everyone doing OK.

Pearls are great with all other fish in tank, it is 55 gallon lots of plants floaters and low flow. Male pearl set up on one side of tank and chases away females which I expected. I was hoping females would group up but are a bit mo
Accidentally posted... More aggressive than expected they often chase each other. It is usually short and then they ignore each other but sometimes female chases one into male who then chases back. There have been a few white marks of fish and usually only really aggressive during feeding. But just posted on bump or mark on my male and wondering if they are too aggressive and stressing each other out. Included pic of aquarium to show setup maybe I am doing something wrong need reshape. Or maybe still settling in pearls been in tank for only few weeks.

Attachments

• 20210628_103736.jpg
    20210628_103736.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 24

BigManAquatics

More plants to hide in and break line of sight almost never hurts.

Upvote 0

briankolb243

More plants to hide in and break line of sight almost never hurts.
That's what I was planning on trying to figure out. working on ideas for how to rescape in a way that might split things up more, I guess I still was hoping for more of what is normal levels of aggression.
My original plan was one side tank for male other females hanging but females more aggressive/territorial than I expected not sure if normal or not. Do I need like 4 sections in tank with broken sight lines because that will be hard to pull of and make look decent. Trying to gage how big a problem this is or if occasional chasing is normal for this species and plan best path forward for me and the fish. I have a 29 I could try splitting fish also lfs I got them at said if I have aggression issues I could bring back. Really don't want to return though as I am attached to the fish really want to make it work this was my centerpiece fish idea.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Sometimes you can get a fish that is a bad seed that just plain won't get along with anyone. I don't think thats what you have going here. My platies sound more aggressive towards each other in all honesty! But as always, do keep an eye out to see if it escalates to a lot more than chasing and how frequent. Also, gouramis do tend to be a bit of an aggressive fish.

As far as your decor and whatnot, i like to work in halves or thirds so it doesn't feel overwhelming trying to envision a whole tank at once. Then work on a way to blend it in a bit.

Upvote 0

briankolb243

Sometimes you can get a fish that is a bad seed that just plain won't get along with anyone. I don't think thats what you have going here. My platies sound more aggressive towards each other in all honesty! But as always, do keep an eye out to see if it escalates to a lot more than chasing and how frequent. Also, gouramis do tend to be a bit of an aggressive fish.

As far as your decor and whatnot, i like to work in halves or thirds so it doesn't feel overwhelming trying to envision a whole tank at once. Then work on a way to blend it in a bit.
Awesome thank you very much, I knew they were a bit aggressive going in so was prepared just want to make sure I am not missing any warning signs. Thank you so much for advice!

Upvote 0

Motherlovebetta

You need jinjerJOSH22 haha hes the gourami guy gave me good info on my pearls!

Upvote 0

briankolb243

You need jinjerJOSH22 haha hes the gourami guy gave me good info on my pearls!
Good to know, will see if I can track down thank you!

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

Hi, this sounds normal to me. Pearls are social fish and will create a social hierarchy, which involves chasing and nipping as part of normal behaviour.

Some aggression is perfectly fine, what you do need to look out for is that everyone eats enough and there isn't excessive fin damage.

Lovely setup =)

Upvote 0

briankolb243

Hi, this sounds normal to me. Pearls are social fish and will create a social hierarchy, which involves chasing and nipping as part of normal behaviour.

Some aggression is perfectly fine, what you do need to look out for is that everyone eats enough and there isn't excessive fin damage.

Lovely setup =)
Thank you really appreciate advice, I figured that was what was happening will keep an eye on things. Everyone eats plenty I set up feed spots spread out over the tank so that they all have plenty of space. Mostly get a bit riled up right after feeding but then calm and all seem to hang with a bit of posturing and chasing through the day.

Really loving their personalities, they are really brave it's cool sometimes they feel my arms with their feelers when messing around in the tank.

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

. . . Also, gouramis do tend to be a bit of an aggressive fish.

There are a number of species of gourami, and while some (like dwarf gouramis and 3-spot gouramis) are pretty aggressive, others aren't. Honey gouramis, in particular, usually display very little aggression, and pearl gouramis are probably right behind them.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
  • Question
Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
Replies
Views
Dan1984