how many?

dfrap

Reaction score
I have one male fancy guppy, whom I love! I want to get some more (males) as soon as my water levels are where they should be. Right now, still working on it, and he's hanging in there through it all. I was wondering how many would be ok for a 10 gallon tank? Down the road a bit, I also want to get a couple cory cats. I definitely don't want to overcrowd them, so does anyone know how many guppies would be ok? Thanks a lot

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i'm also thinking of buying some guppies. if u want babies u can add two female guppies.

wolfman21

Reaction score
If you want cories, I would keep around 4 guppies if they are all males, 3 if males and females (2 females, 1 male), and then a couple cory cats. There's that 1 inch of fish per gallon rule again! Just to be safe. They will probably have babies too

OP
D

dfrap

Reaction score
Well, I now have 3 male guppies. Ended up getting the 2 because someone was needing to get rid of them and I couldn't stand the thought of her flushing them I've been browsing fish stores and have found some pygmy cories. I guess they grow to be only about an inch. So I think that'd be a good choice. Male guppies grow to about 1 1/2" right? So 2 more guppies and 3 cory cats would be ok right? Or is my math wrong on this? :-\

wolfman21

Reaction score
yeah that should be good. 3 Pygmy cories and a couple more guppies, probably 2 to be on the same side for a total of 5 guppies. They grow to a max of about 1.5 inches, but the tail makes up a big part of it, depending on the fish.

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
...and be sure not to add any females if you're going for a male guppy show tank...or else the male guppies might fight each other for the females and rip each other's fins

wolfman21

Reaction score
The rule for female guppies is 2 females to one male, so if you get a bigger tank and want a lot of babies swimming around, then maybe you'll want to do that!

New Threads