How many?

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by cameronpalte, Apr 18, 2012.

1. c

cameronpalte Valued Member Member

I am planning on making a 55g guppy only tank. I will cover the filter with sponge and put a ton of fake plants or real plants on the bottom and allow it to be survival of the fittest.

In around 3 weeks I will have my supplies. My fish have already been in there for 2 weeks and are helping to cycle the tank so in another 3 weeks it'll be pretty much fully cycled.

At the 3 points the existing fish will be placed in a holding container temporarily while my 55g is totally drained because of a recent outbreak of columnaris but I hope they will all be better.

It will be refilled, a sponge will be added around my filter to keep the fry from being sucked in, and the bottom will become heavily planted.

At that point, I will transfer my guppy fry in there and allow them to grow. There are a total of 19 guppy fry.

Once they are transferred they will probably be left in there for around 2 months.

After those 2 months, I will be looking at adding some more guppies so how many more do you guys think I can add?

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would only add fish for the purpose of diversifying the gene pool.

There's no need to add more to have more - they are livebearers - what you already have will over run your tank in time.

What is your plan for population control?

3. OP
    OP
    c

Survival of the fittest should eliminate a majority of the fish. I am planning on adding a few more to diversify the gene pool. For population control if my tank is starting to become over run, I will try to sell them, give them away, or get another tank.

How many guppies do you think can securely fit in a 55g?

Thanks for your help!

4. Jaysee

How many livebearer tanks have you had?

5. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

You really need to have, like, a Gourami or something. With all the plants you say you will have, in just a few months, you'll have guppies coming out your ears.

6. I keep fish

I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Survival of the fittest? thats not going to work your going to have to get a bigger fish to control it.

7. jbdub

jbdub Valued Member Member

haha

Yeah I agree with these guys, get something to help trim the herd!

8. OP
    OP
    c

This will be a first:).

Nah interested in 100% guppy only:).

If necessary, I can cut down on the number of plants a lot as I don't have a lot right now so it really depends on how many I purchase.

9. OP
    OP
    c

I can give away guppies to all of you guys:)! If there are seriously to many babies I have 1 swordtail, 1 female guppy and 3 platy (which will be in a separate tank, I decided not to add the female guppy and leave her with the others but she is the mom of my female fry:)).

I can ocassionally put in those fish in the tank if there are too many fry so that they can have "snack time".

10. Jaysee

You are severely overestimating how fit they need to be in order to survive :) You are also severely overestimating the ability of the fish you have to keep things in check.

Also, the population will grow exponentially in such a large tank (for them). In order to responsibly keep this tank, you need to have a plan. I have no doubt that you can find someone who will take them for feeders.

11. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, if you want a guppy only tank thats fine, but another tank for the over stock of fry to go to would be a good thing, or a plan to rehome them to another location that can keep up with the number of fish you can provide.

12. I keep fish

I keep fish Well Known Member Member

You dont understand the fry will then have babies and it will continue growing if not controlled by some other fish.

13. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

+1 completely agree

14. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

In a 55gal, something like an angle or a 3spot gourami will help you cut down the fry, but you will still have too many. Unfortunetly, most of us on here who have plans to get guppy or other fish would either
    A. get them from the store
    B. Get them from a reliable source breeder with healthy stock, not some rag tag fish store fish left to breed to their own devices.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  15. OP
    OP
    c

I will be talking this weekend several weeks before I get any guppies to a local fish store near me that has gotten great reviews to see if they are willing to buy fry for store credit or cash. I will be making sure to have a place to sell them if necessary or something like that. Thanks for that!

16. L

Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I agree with everyone else. At the moment I am purposely breeding my guppies. From 4females in just a month I must have a hundred fry, because the only population control is the adult guppies. I also do survival of the fittest in my guppy tanks, but with some plants ( 6 to be exact) and caves, a lot of them live. Mine are in a 30gal and have over run it in less than a month. My suggestion would be to get 2 females that are already pregnant, from 2 different stores, and just let them populate the tank. you will probibly need something to control them eventually, unless you get a special breed line , they will be hard to sell very many of. I plan to feed my excess to the bloodparrots and angelfish in my other tanks.

17. OP
    OP
    c

Well I already have 19 fry that will be transferred.

I will be talking to local fish stores in my area over the next few weeks (this project will be at least a month ahead) to see what there policies are for fry selling ect. If someone gives me $0.25 store credit/fry (which I don't think will happen), then I'll just give them a lot of fry and use my store credit to buy more tanks and fish muhahahah!

18. L

Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I suggested the females to limit some of the inbreeding. Hope you have luck, my lfs will take fry, but offer no compansation for them.

19. Jaysee

Picking up pregnant females means you'll likely get several different sets of genes, as the fry belong to various males. That is to which she is referring.

20. OP
    OP
    c

Oh, I see, thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice