How many watts?

AJE

So I have a 55 gallon and I want its temp to be 82-85 degrees. My room temperature for water is around 71 degrees. How many watts would I need for that?

Pfrozen

Twinklingtea said:
it always says 50 watts even if you say you have a 1000 gallon tank lol

you should be good with a 300 watt heater. 50 watts per 10g is good for a 10 degree change so thats about right in your case. 100w in my 20 struggles to keep up with a 15 degree change but still keeps the temperature steady

edit: if it were me I would do 2x 200w heaters, one at each end

NoahLikesFish

Why do you need 82-85 degrees that seems really hot, I don’t know of any fish that like water that hot

jake37

Discus, rams and similar.

NoahLikesFish said:
Why do you need 82-85 degrees that seems really hot, I don’t know of any fish that like water that hot

AJE

NoahLikesFish said:
I have German blue rams. Also I figured out my problem, I had the heater set to 79 so that was my problem. In my defense, there was algae on the bar that shows what it was set at

jake37

There is a question as to what is a good temp for gbr. I think 86 ssinit has kept them at 79 with good longevity and the ones he has with his discus (86) don't live nearly as long. I think coralbandit recommends 82. I been keeping mine 79-80 right now since they are in a community tank (they were all males and i had wanted m/f). When paired i've kept them around 81 (though in my defense my last pair was doing great for 6 months until a power outage killed one).
-
I guess i'm saying 79 as the lower point is not so bad a temp for them but i'm not a real expert and I've had mixed success. The two i have now in hte community tank i abuse but i've had them for nearly 5 months and they were not young adults when i obtained them... then again they have a never ending appetite - chubby little things they are becoming (I keep them with some young angels who need regular feeding).

AJE said:
I have German blue rams. Also I figured out my problem, I had the heater set to 79 so that was my problem. In my defense, there was algae on the bar that shows what it was set at

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom