How many to keep? GBR

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by StarGirl2, Mar 23, 2010.

1. StarGirl2New MemberMember

Do German Blue Rams prefer to be in groups? Or just one? or a pair?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!
    Rams can be kept as singles without a problem.
    Carol

3. platy ben

platy benWell Known MemberMember

I recommend keeping them in singles or one pair per tank. In a group pair(s) are likely to form making the tank a battle ground for the rams.

4. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I tried keeping 2 pairs in a 45, unsuccessfully.

5. OP
    OP
    S

StarGirl2New MemberMember

Ok so just one or two for a tank. Does it matter if they are both males, both femals, or mixed?

6. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_DonWell Known MemberMember

Both females would be best

7. platy ben

Both males will likely fight, so either a male and female or 2 females would work out best :)

8. OP
    OP
    S

Also, are GBR's bottom dwellers? It didn't see a tank region on their profile

9. platy ben

In my experience, rams do prefer to spend most of their time in the lower levels of the tank :)

10. OP
    OP
    S

Hmmm...well i was hoping to stock with some kuhlies and cories so maybe with the rams it will be too much going on at the bottom. Any suggestions to something similar to the GBR's? i really love their look.

11. platy ben

Well in my 45G angel tank I have 2 bolivian rams and 4 albino corys and 3 Garra rufa, al of which spend a lot of time at the bottom, and its not too bad :)

12. Sammyboi1993Valued MemberMember

I have a Male and Femable GBR and they are doing fine, they dont bother any other fish and both a looking fine and healthy. They tend to spend their time bottom to middle. I Have them with Kribs, Rainbow Shark, SAE, Dojo Loach and they are all fine together.

13. funkman262

funkman262Well Known MemberMember

When I first got my GBR he always chased any small fish around that came near him but lately he's been very mellow. I don't know if something's wrong with him (I hope not) or if he just adjusted to the tank and lost his aggressiveness. He's been fine with my 4 small peppered cories.

14. Morgan111

Morgan111Well Known MemberMember

Im going to put rams in this tank but was thinkinmg of two pair one in each side is around a 50 gallon tallish sort of thing lol

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice