How many times a day should I feed my fish?

Ryan.O.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I was just wondering how many x a day I should feed my fish. I usually feed them flake food 3x a day (morning, afternoon and night). 3x a week I feed them frozen bloodworms. They seem to eat all the food but sometimes not all the fish eat the food and just ignore it. My 2 Angelfish always seem to want food cause every time I put my hand near the tank they swim up to it like theyre hungry.

lokky.funky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi Ryan,

You have been feeding the fishes thrice a day.. I feel that you continue doing so. But make sure you always feed them what they can eat in a few minutes, so that no food is uneaten in the tank (Uneaten food add upto the amount of ammonia released into the water). Someone plz correct if i'm wrong.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Different people have different feeding regimens: some will feed the fish only once a day (or even once a few days), while others will feed a couple of times a day. From what I've read, in nature fish feed all day but very small amounts (especially the small tropical fishes); they sort of "graze" all day. So perhaps the best way to feed is to imitate their natural feeding habits by feeding them, say, 3 times a day but very small amounts. This is how I feed: very small amounts 3 times a day, and often only 2 times a day. I make sure no food falls to the bottom, and if it does I try to remove it the next day if it's still uneaten by then. But I hardly ever get any leftover food rotting on the bottom.

The above goes mostly for small to medium sized tropical fish. I think it's a different matter when you feed fish as big as Jack Dempseys or Oscars, or Plecos. You'd have to ask about feeding such fish someome who has them.

Ryan.O.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys thats good advice. if any food falls to the bottom them my Yabby will usually eat all that food.

LarryDavid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Make sure the yabby gets enough to eat too

Maybe drop a wafer in every couple of days, ive heard of yabbys to grow upto 7 inches 

Plus feeding fish 3 times a day is the best way to do it, but only really small pinches mornin noon an night

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I feed my tanks 3 times a day and that seems to work the best for me. No food goes to the bottom and all the fish seem to get enough to eat.

Ryan.O.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yea the Yabby gets enough food to eat. and Yabbies do get really big. ive seen 1 over 20 cm(i think thats like 8 inches or something).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom